If we open a lot of program and fill up the RAM, does this mean more ram usage equals more power consumption?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You mean more electricity to run the computer? No. You can only install a finite amount of ram in any computer. If you are running so many programs that you fill up all the ram then you have lots of other problems too.

I mean if I fill 2GB out of 4GB of RAM and 3.5GB out of 4GB of RAM, Do they both consume the same amount of power/electricity?

It might consume infinitesimally more because of increased disk activity due to swapping but that would only be because of the stepper motor. That's my guess. Good luck measuring something that small.

It's not likely the electric meter would even notice the difference.

RAM is constantly being refreshed so basically uses constant power. But if you increase the amount of changes in RAM (large quantities of writes) over a given period of time, heat (and electricity usage) will be slightly increased.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.