Here is my question: How difficult will it be for a 41 year old, former CPA but recently graduated Computer Science major, to find a good programming job?

I read another article on this forum that was somewhat related (e.g., CPAtoCompSci), but it did not directly answer the question about how the market would view a 40 year old beginning a career in programming?

I will say that I look to be in my early 30's, so no one will necessarily know that I am 40, but that does not change the fact of my age. Also, I hope that my CPA credential will offset any age bias as it demonstrates a certain level of accomplishment, intelligence and general aptitude.

I also understand that getting a "first" programming job is as much about having a portfolio of projects/prior experience, as it is about a degree. With that in mind, I am currently working on some open source projects that should help on that front.

Also, I am interested to know the viability of breaking into a gaming programming role? ...possibly an Indy project that could be self-marketed through Microsoft (e.g., PEZ/Meathead). Is this as easy it seems?

Thank you for any perspective that can be offered.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

How difficult will it be for a 41 year old, former CPA but recently graduated Computer Science major, to find a good programming job?

Probably as difficult as it would be for anyone with your level of experience. Age generally isn't that big of a deal in our field, not to mention the myriad age anti-discrimination laws out there that will probably help you out.

Also, I am interested to know the viability of breaking into a gaming programming role?

Heh, good luck. The game programming field is extremely competitive and intense. It would be difficult to get your foot in the door with little to no prior development experience, which seems to be the case in your situation. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try, just don't get your hopes up.

Actually I was curious about this post because I'm in my early 30s myself and got into programming as a side avenue later in life.

But, I get bad anxiety - to the point of being a disability; my brain gets scrambled in a supermarket if it's busy. I've heard software engineering can be a quite stressful industry? Is it? What would people suggest, I could see myself going loopy when the first deadline hit me.

I've faced age discrimination myself - In all sorts of jobs i've applied to. I can see the distrust and negativity in interviews. It might be because of economic factors rather than really being about age.

Age generally isn't that big of a deal in our field

Thank you, Deceptikon. It is that kind of real-world perspective that I am seeking.

Heh, good luck. The game programming field is extremely competitive and intense. It would be difficult to get your foot in the door with little to no prior development experience, which seems to be the case in your situation. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try, just don't get your hopes up.

I am thinking more as a side-gig, in my free-time, is when I will work on this. I am interested in the project purely as an artistic and creative expression. Any monetization of that endeavour will be a bonus.

I've faced age discrimination myself - In all sorts of jobs i've applied to. I can see the distrust and negativity in interviews. It might be because of economic factors rather than really being about age.

Mrewan79, might you elaborate on this more? Specifically, is your age discrimination simply that you were not hired, and is the "distrust" and "negativity" merely your perception of the interviewer's attitude?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.