Start New Discussion within our Computer Science Community

Hi all! First of all I apologize if I am on a wrong forum but I am using this forum first time.
I am new to this field and I have a big problem. I take a class for pseudocode and I have an assignment to create a program that will manage a recipe collection. The last 7 weeks we were working with modular processing and the last week we learned a little bit about object-oriented programs. I still do not have feedback from the professor for that OOP assignment and I am not even sure if I got it right. Meanwhile I have to create this program and make a combination of both oop and modular procesingg. Based on my knowledge till now I started creating a modular processing but I always get stuck when I think about how to include OOP too.
So, I have a Recipe Collection that contains recipes which belong to 8 different categories(appetizers, soups, salads, main dishes, side dishes, deserts, beverages, uncategorized). The actions included in this program would be Add new recipe, Find a recipe, Remove a recipe, and maybe List all recipes. I have so many ideas how to do this and I end up confused. Please I need guidance how to start. Should I create classes and subclasses first or should I use arrays and sequential files? Please help as soon as possible. Thank you!

This is called "functional decompisition" - breaking the problem down into understandable chunks. Using pseudo-code is good for this. The approach to solving this problem in particular can be functional, or class-oriented. First, think about the problem domain, and then determine which approach fits best. FWIW, sometimes it is a combination of both! :-) In my 30+ years of software engineering experience, I still find that most problems are best solved with a combination approach.

Thanks for your response but the most confusing part for me is the combination. Obviously the requirement I must create both OOp and modular processing but I do not know how to connect those two things. I was thinking to create the modlues as usually and then create the classes and subclasses with their attributes and methods. Still I do not know how to connect them in one single program. This is all due to the small amount of time dedicated to learning OOP. I guess this is the biggest disadvantage of this course I take. I do not think that anyone can learn OOP just with reading one single lesson on 15 pages. And I still do not have the feedback from my instructor about the OOP assignment which means I am not sure if I know that too. I got all A till now and it is a shame to blew it up now at the end just because I have aweful instructor who does not help me at all. I feel desparate....:(

You have not operations to handle persistence through class, so I would modularize out the persistence and user interface and use OOP as 'type definitions for recipe objects' to use as any normal type in program.

Hi guys! I just want to let you know that I got the grade for my final project and it is 100% A!!!!
I am so happy! I created a pseudocode for modular processing (as normal), a flowchart and hierarchy chart, a GUI, test cases and OOP where I actually defined the recipe objects and its attributes. I was actually worried for nothing. However thanks for your replies.

Interesting ideas but you should keep alert about healthy diet paleo recipes with different tastes.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.