:) hi guys i 've a major problem. :confused: for my final year project im designing an artificial intellegence system in medicine(or u can call it a clinical decision support system, CDSS) that gives asistance to doctors in diagnosis. im not a medical student, im an IT student and i am targeting it at government hospitals in my country. firstly i need help on what language or package is best suited on this type of program. how can i go about it? if theres any one out there who's ever done this sort of thing or has an idea how i go about creating such a system, can you help me please.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

The first thing you need to do is get a medical degree so that you know what the he!! the program is supposed to do. You can't possibly write about something you know absolutely nothing about.

What operating system do you plan to run this program on? PC, MAC, *nix, wireless ? a computer language that is portable across os sounds like an ideal candidate.

excuse me Mr ancient dragon but i dont think people develop software necessarily have to be in the respective profession. i am working with a doctor on the input stuff. what i need help on is the software aspect.

i plan to run it on PC

>>but i dont think people develop software necessarily have to be in the respective profession
most developers do know quite a lot about the business of their clients. Programmers don't work in a black box or a vacuum. You don't have to have an M.D. degree, but should know at least a little bit about their work.

But Ok, so maybe I was just a tad sharp. I apologise.

What computer languages do you know? Using .NET seems like it would be the most useful because you can mix languages in the same program. You can do the front-end in VB.NET and other parts in c++ or C#. Sort of like getting the best of all worlds.

Then there is of course the database. I assume the program will have to access the medical information on a database located somewhere. Centralized in one location and everyone uses it, or each location has it stored on their own computer. What you choose can get quite expensive.

>>but i dont think people develop software necessarily have to be in the respective profession
most developers do know quite a lot about the business of their clients. Programmers don't work in a black box or a vacuum. You don't have to have an M.D. degree, but should know at least a little bit about their work.

But Ok, so maybe I was just a tad sharp. I apologise.

Good for you, AD. You should ;)

I know nothing about drugs but for 6 years worked with a major pharmaceutical company

I know nothing about radio communication and had a contract with a major communications company.

Also avionics and flying. I could go on...

It's not what you know, but how to get the information you need and who you are working with. If the medical profession waited for programmers to become doctors, there would be little technical advancement.

:) hi
thanks ancient dragon 4 the advice.

and thank you waltP for the support

cheers:!:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.