Hello,
I have to install Oracle Developer 2000 R2.1 on a Windows 8.1 (x64) machine to run an application developed by a third party developer, but my installation keeps on crashing. Tried running in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode still same result.

The error is as follows:
"D2KQT10.ins(54): 'Statement' expected when ';' found"

And this occurs while executing the following:
"C:\ORANT...\d2kr20qt.exe"

Tried same install on a Windows 7 and a Windows 10 machine, and both installed correctly, except for some warnings on 10, which still completed the install. However on 8.1 it fails completely after displaying the above error message.

Any fix for this pls?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

@rproffitt - Yes have Oracle Developer 2000 (1.3.2) installed to run another application. Will have a look at the link provided above.

I eventually found out the root of the problem. I was using a 64-bit OS, which does not have the NTVMD feature, while same installation done on a Windows 10 32-bit saw the OS automatically download and enable the NTVDM feature, which then proceeded with completing the installation of the Developer 2000 R2.1 setup. After googling, I found that 64-bit OS do not support this NTVDM feature at all. A pity Microsoft overlooked a feature like this on the 64-bit platforms.

Isn't that NTVDM which is to run 16 bit apps on 32 (and some 64) bit Windows?

Maybe you think it faulty to leave such old support out but here I agree it has to go. Just a few years ago I ran into some app that would not run on a patched up XP SP3 but would on plain XP. It took some digging but it was another removal of 16 bit support.

Yes, the year 2000 was when you could expect 16 bit app support. Today? Don't count on it.

Ya NTVDM which provides a virtualized 16-bit environment for those apps needing it. Unfortunately, only 64-bit OS are affected, and they are the ones which are mostly in use in work places these days. So to basically run a 32-bit OS on a machine having 8-cores and 8GB RAM would be a waste of resources, but will have to eventually run the 32-bit in a VM to get the application running. Don't talk about upgrading to a newer Oracle version, else the big bosses will get heart attacks. LOL!

Then that's your answer. Tell them only 32 bit OSes are supported. I know companies that do that since they are loathe to update their apps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.