I am currently in charge of a running installation of the Slony replication procedure for Postgresql databases. I inherited this installation from my predecessor; I have no clue how slony works. I am in need of some kind of beginner's guide, if anyone knows where such a thing might be found.

I have checked the documentation which came with the slony installation currently running, but it's far enough over my head I can barely understand what they author is referring to, let alone what I need to do to learn it.

Searches on the web have revealed little. A general google search for Slony and Slonik (the commandset for slony, apparently...it was referenced in the installation docs) revealed nothing more useful than a list of the commands, with almost no instruction on how they were to be used. The instruction that was present apparently is geared towards someone who already knows a fair amount about Slony replication. Again, I do not qualify for that.

Searches for "Slony Beginner's Guide" and similar terms revealed a single site, which mentioned the term in reference to another site that seems to be mostly an FAQ. I'm still looking through that site, but I don't know if the contents will help me any. Other than the FAQ layout, it seems to be pretty similar to what I've already discovered, which, as I said, is currently over my head.

Again, does anyone know of a beginner's guide to Slony, or anything similar, that might be of assistance? Or, failing that, does anyone have any suggestions for other terms I could try searching on to find what I need?

Thank you for your consideration,
-EnderX

I am currently in charge of a running installation of the Slony replication procedure for Postgresql databases. I inherited this installation from my predecessor; I have no clue how slony works. I am in need of some kind of beginner's guide, if anyone knows where such a thing might be found.

I have checked the documentation which came with the slony installation currently running, but it's far enough over my head I can barely understand what they author is referring to, let alone what I need to do to learn it.

Searches on the web have revealed little. A general google search for Slony and Slonik (the commandset for slony, apparently...it was referenced in the installation docs) revealed nothing more useful than a list of the commands, with almost no instruction on how they were to be used. The instruction that was present apparently is geared towards someone who already knows a fair amount about Slony replication. Again, I do not qualify for that.

Searches for "Slony Beginner's Guide" and similar terms revealed a single site, which mentioned the term in reference to another site that seems to be mostly an FAQ. I'm still looking through that site, but I don't know if the contents will help me any. Other than the FAQ layout, it seems to be pretty similar to what I've already discovered, which, as I said, is currently over my head.

Again, does anyone know of a beginner's guide to Slony, or anything similar, that might be of assistance? Or, failing that, does anyone have any suggestions for other terms I could try searching on to find what I need?

Thank you for your consideration,
-EnderX

I'm no slony expert but I think the latest versions of pgAdmin3 have slony stuff included. Did a quick google and came up with this; you may have seen it already but it looks quite informative.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.