hello there,
The software used are: DarkBasic, GameMaker, Visual C++, Maya, 3D Max and the school's own game engine. Is this course worth a try? And is DarkBasic useful in the game industry?
please reply me
thanks.
Techbrain55

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

>Is this course worth a try?
If anything, you'll learn about Visual Studio, Maya, and 3DS Max.

>And is DarkBasic useful in the game industry?
I'm not privy to the workings of the game industry, but from my consulting experience, I'd say that DarkBasic is more of a kiddie program for learning the basics rather than something you would use to create a viable commercial product. It's probably great for the course, though.

VS, 3DS Max and especially Maya is extreamly worth while to learn and i agree with Narue on DarkBasic

Yep... C++, Maya, 3DS are all GREAT to know if you want to make games. The only other thing(s) I might add would be OGRE/OpenGL/DirectX. By the way, what does the school's game engine do?

if it includes Visual C++ specifically it probably includes DirectX. It's the library of choice after all for game development with Visual Studio :)

DarkBasic and GameMaker both are kiddie programs.
Amateur stuff, but handy to guickly set up something to see those models you made in Maya and 3DS Max in action, and to get some of the basic paradigms into your head without bothering you with "complicated" (for the average kiddo) C++ syntax.
That's probably why it's used, as a stepping stone towards the real work to be done at a later stage (and maybe some scripting and tool making).

DarkBasic and GameMaker are both foreign to me... never heard of them. As jwenting said, DirectX is the stuff when it comes to Visual C++ development and games. I'll always support OGRE, tho, for it's sexy cross-platform-ness. But I'm a Linux nerd, so anything cross-platform is sexy to me.

hello there,
Thanks for the information. I stuck on to Darkbasic and read from many comments and forums that dark basic is the best.
Thanks.
Techbrain55

DarkBasic, if you're new to programming, is a great starting point. I've been involved with it for about 8-9 years now. It's more powerful than people will give it credit for. There have been at least 1 or 2 games made in DB that have made it to store shelves. It won't be as powerful as using an engine with C++, but without all the DX overhead, it's a lot quicker to start coding the concept you're trying to present. I make a lot of things in DB, but it's not something I write on a resume either.

The point is, if you're new to programming and want to keep interested in learning from an early start, DB is a great place to start.

That sounds pretty interesting... I might look into it for rapid prototyping.

Hey just thought I'd throw my perspective in, try to help out with choices that are made.
I downloaded the trial of Dark Basic to see how it was compared to Visual Studio. To be quite honest I'm not sure I could switch from Visual Studio to Dark Basic simply because of the layout. I guess it's partially biased but when you're used to one type of setup, going to something different and new (or older in this case) is kind of hard to do.

I found that Dark basic was kind of hard to get into though just from the layout but if I had started with Db it could be a different story.

yes dear but if you want develop game like poker and other creative game so its not help full this all software you have develop in other application like java and ajex.

Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.