Okay im kind of interested in porting the gnome-games packages to the win32 platform. This aught to be possible, right, seeing as there is win32 versions of GTK and SDL etc ?

Anyone had any experience of porting software?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Okay im kind of interested in porting the gnome-games packages to the win32 platform. This aught to be possible, right, seeing as there is win32 versions of GTK and SDL etc ?

Yeah, it's possible. The difficulty of the port depends on how many libraries exist (and ports of the libraries) and your experience using them on both platforms.

Anyone had any experience of porting software?

I haven't really done much in the way of porting software, except for a little (Windows) OpenGL application to Mac OS X. The hardest part was setting up the libraries properly and getting the linker to link everything properly. In the end I had to disable several modules to get it to work. The key is to disable any extra modules initally, and see if you can get the core compiled and working. As you get various bits ported, you keep adding them to the core until you've got the full-featured game.

ive managed (i think) to get the libs set up though and think im getting somewhere

Its a bit wierd though, some of the source files compile fine on visual c++ 5 but not on dev c++ (minigw) whereas others are the other way around

I say windows don't deserve them. :twisted:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.