My nephew has a school assignment (7th grade I think) where he has to interview a video game developer (or someone in that industry) who has at least some knowledge of the process. He emailed me a list of questions in hopes that I would be able to answer them or know someone who could. Unfortunately they are specific enough that I can't fake my way through them (I'm a creative director at a production/design company for TV... not close enough :). So in the hopes of getting the "uncle of the year" award I thought I'd check out some forums and landed here. Below are the ten questions he needs answers to. If anyone here has a few moments to give some answers I'd really appreciate it. You can post here or send me a private email.
...And of course he has waited to the last minute so he needs it asap :)
1. What would best prepare me for making a video game?
2. How long have you been working with video game making and designing?
3. What program is used to make a video game on the computer? Programs?
4. How many steps are there in making or designing a video game?
5. How large is a usual game finished on a disk?
6. What systems do you usually make the games for?
7. Can video games eventually become picture perfect? How?
8. How long does it usually take to make a game?
9. What is different about making games for handhelds? Is it harder?
10. Can anyone make a game to play on their computer with a home computer?
Thanks in advance,