Forgive me if this thread was repost. :(

I am a novice in database system for game development.
Can Mr./Mrs. (Master) in here give me an example of a saving system for game? or it just use a database?(Like SQL?):idea:
Like a feature for "Save the Games" and sometimes the player can "Continue" or "Load games".

I imagine the database will store data for the game like level, exp., skill, coordinates, items, etc. ;)

Thankyou for the reply :) I'm really appreciate it :)
(I'm sorry if my english not good :()

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

The answers, as always, is: it depends. Databases are often times best with online/browser based games, but Flash, I believe, can write save files to the computer on which it's being played. I don't work with Flash, so I'm not 100%.

In single-player, offline games a save file would probably be the best, as you don't really want to install a database instance for your game. I can't say I'd be ok with someone installing SQL on my machine just to save a game. Although, you can do a persistent/occasional network connection (which puts it in the online game category) in order to write the data to a database on your end.

Figure out what you want your game to be and how the player should be able to play it and you'll most likely have your answer.

commented: Good analysis +0

If you prefer a database, but need an offline save file, and don't want to install a database server, you might look at SQLite.

The answers, as always, is: it depends. Databases are often times best with online/browser based games, but Flash, I believe, can write save files to the computer on which it's being played. I don't work with Flash, so I'm not 100%.

In single-player, offline games a save file would probably be the best, as you don't really want to install a database instance for your game. I can't say I'd be ok with someone installing SQL on my machine just to save a game. Although, you can do a persistent/occasional network connection (which puts it in the online game category) in order to write the data to a database on your end.

Figure out what you want your game to be and how the player should be able to play it and you'll most likely have your answer.

How about if offline games? which database you choose? :)

If you prefer a database, but need an offline save file, and don't want to install a database server, you might look at SQLite.

May i distribute it? and how it works?

thx :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.