Hello,

I'm very new to visual basic ver 5.00 . and I need help please.

I have ms access '97 database with three tables. I created a form using form wizard , and it has a data control included. How do I enter data through the datacontrol to my tables in the database.
I would also like to delete ,edit , add records to the table at a later stage

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

VB5 and Access 97 - WOW.

There are a few of ways to access the data bases (I've only worked in VB6, but I assume that it will work for 97 - I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong)

The main options that you have available ADO and DAO, ODBC - I've only used DAO (jet).

But what ever one you choose, you will need to tell Vb what one you are using by going to the references section and selecting it.

Here is a good link that explains them and provides some sample code
http://www.vbexplorer.com/VBExplorer/vb_feature/june2000/Database_Beginner_ADO_DAO.asp

VB5 and Access 97 - WOW.

There are a few of ways to access the data bases (I've only worked in VB6, but I assume that it will work for 97 - I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong)

The main options that you have available ADO and DAO, ODBC - I've only used DAO (jet).

But what ever one you choose, you will need to tell Vb what one you are using by going to the references section and selecting it.

Here is a good link that explains them and provides some sample code
http://www.vbexplorer.com/VBExplorer/vb_feature/june2000/Database_Beginner_ADO_DAO.asp

Hello bushman,

thanks for your timely reply. I am aware of ado and dao. But not all that familiar with the use of data control. I created a simple form in vb , with data control, and tried to run it. I keep gettting the error 'Function or interface markedas restricted or the function uses an Automation type , not suppoerted in Visula Basic.""
I can't seem to under stand what the error could be. I have decalred the data base name and recordsource in the form properites.

Also ,another question...
If I have developed an application in windows in vb ver 5.oo, can I post that application on a web site , and get users to access the application by logging into the website, or would I have to develop the application again using Web forms (ASp.NET)

Any suggestion would be helpful

Hi,
Ther ir no way to use VB application softwares in Web,

Web applications are distincly different,yiou cantry with DHTML or go for Dot net

Windows app cannot be used as Web app

With regards
Venkatramasamy SN

try this..
'click first your data control object, in the properties section of your data control, locate the DATABASE NAME, and find using the (...) symbol...Next on the RECORDSOURCE, Select the DATACONTROL NAME you had...ex.DATA1...Last on your textbox, select the DATA FIELDS APPROPRIATE in every textbox our had...and that's it..you are connected to your database using datacontrol

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.