I've recently been elevated in my team to a lead position, and one thing I have identified as a problem is that we don't have any existing curriculum or program for teaching programming to those members on our team without programming experience. There seems to be a barrier to people's potential when they don't see things as a programmer -- like they don't look at problems from a machine's perspective. From what I've seen, those with even a basic knowlege of programming tend to approach problems differently.

However, just because I have some programming experience doesn't mean I can teach it. Does anyone have any recommendations for how I should design an "on-the-job" training course with the objective of giving people a solid introduction to programming? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You can take the gist of following books
impatient perl
learning perl
and intermediate perl

I was just reading about programming and SQL logic, and how they are different. ('Data & databases: Concepts in practice' by Joe Celko).

He explains the difference between programming logic and SQL logic. For a programmer, logic is used to make decisions about sequential control. In SQL, logic makes a statement about the state of the data.

Programmers usually think in terms of 2 values: TRUE or FALSE. But in SQL there is a 3rd value called UNKNOWN, which is different from NULL.

In your course you will need to devise ways to measure and test the relevant kind of logic.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.