i am in a intro to cs class and need help with a current project. it is a simple project but I seem to be stuck. the program is to read 2 integers for the height and width of a rectangle and then display the rectangle using "#" 's. We are to do this using a loop construct such as a for loop. my problem is that I do not know how to display the "#"'s for the width of the rectangle. can anyone help?

Awright, I don't know what 'cs' is. But here's a basic idea of what you need to do:

Get input and store in variables named 'width' and 'height'
for (temp=0;temp<width;temp++)
for (temp2=0;temp2<height;temp2++)
print out '#'

How it works is it goes across:

#####

But since theres another for loop every time it moves across one, it goes down a column:

###
###
###

For example, it'll start at the first #, right? It'll loop until it reaches the last one, but for every time it goes across, it makes a column with a second for loop.

Hopefully I've explained clearly enough.

Btw, I don't know what 'cs' is, but here's some C/C++ code, if it'll help:

#include <stdio.h>
int main(void) {
int temp=0,temp2=0,width=0,height=0;
printf("Input width and height:\n");
scanf("%d%d",&width,&height);
for (temp=0;temp<width;temp++)
for (temp2=0;temp2<height;temp2++)
putchar('#');
return 0;
}

That's untested, but according to all logic and reasoning available at the time of writing, it should work.

thanks, by the way I used "cs" to stand for "computer science"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.