Hello all,
A friend of mine developed a program using vb 6 using an "MS Access" database. he used ODBC to connect the users to database over network. The problem is he needs to connect 20+ computers to this program, and all computers are equipped with winxp sp2, that as it appears does not maintain more than 10 network connections to the database.
any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

p.s. the TCPIP.sys file that open the network's connection seems to help nothing in this issue.

Regards.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

ms-access has some limitations.

tell your frnd to upgrade the database to sql server or oracle.

Thanks for the advice, this is what I told him to do but the problem is that he needs "for a divine cause" to use access. any how he can access the database using MS windows server for over 30 users/players. but in the case of using windows XP as a DB server(), no more than 10 connections is available. any more help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Regards.

but the problem is that he needs "for a divine cause" to use access.

but in the case of using windows XP as a DB server(), no more than 10 connections is available.

would you please explain these more clearly?

The divine cause is that he can't work on SQL server because,as he said, there is a problem regarding queries and some laziness as i deduced. its a university project that demanded this specifications. this is regarding the 1st quote. now the second quote, when the database file is hosted on the "MS windows server 2000" it can be accessed by more than 30 users. but the problem is that due to restriction of usage of server he installed the access DB file into a windows xp station. and now he can not access the DB with more than 10 users. and I've also talked about the network connection and the TCPIP.sys fix in the 1st thread.
Thanks a lot
I hope i explained the problem more.

so ultimately your question is how you can bypass this problem so that more than 10 users can access the database synchronously in an winxp os?

if its so then the answer is you can't. this is the restriction of the os itself. so there is nothing can be done. the only solution for this you might have to change your platform for implementation. as i suggest use windows server 2003 operating system or winvista. hope your problem will be history.

regards
Shouvik

hello guys... i have developed one application Software using Visual Basic 6.0 and data base is Ms Acccess. now my problem is., i want to use this software over the network, i mean simulatneously accessing by other users. whether it is possible? if it is possible please guide me the steps.

Ansar

yes of course it is possible....just put your access database on a centralized machine being connected in a local area network...make sure the file is shareable and that's it....just create a shortcut or install your client software in all the nodes from which you want to connect the database...its very easy...all the nodes in the same network as the host computer is(where your db is located) should access the database without any problem....thats all you have to do.....also make sure that your network has sufficient permissions for file sharing and the database also has read-n-write access...

hope this will sort out your query...let me know if this gets well for you...

regards
Shouvik

ansar.vb,

Welcome to the forums. Just so you know and so you are not labeled a necrophiliac, necromonger, or a necromancer. It is not polite to raise the dead. If you need to reference an old thread like this, please copy its url into your new thread posting.

As for your question, if you are using ADO see http://www.connectionstrings.com for some of your answers to a properly formated connection string.

Now, if you are using RDO the answer is pretty simple as you will need to place the database on a machine that has a public share. Then you will need to configure your ODBC DSN's to point to that database.

The same goes if you are using DAO ODBC Direct.

Now, if you are using DAO, you will need to either map to the share from each machine or use a UNC path from each machine that points to the share and db.

As for ADO, the above applies whether you are using an ODBC DSN or an ODBC DNS Less connection.

Good Luck

Thank you for your suggestion. first tel me whether i have to install vb in client system?????

Regards
ANSAR

Hello all,
A friend of mine developed a program using vb 6 using an "MS Access" database. he used ODBC to connect the users to database over network. The problem is he needs to connect 20+ computers to this program, and all computers are equipped with winxp sp2, that as it appears does not maintain more than 10 network connections to the database.
any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

p.s. the TCPIP.sys file that open the network's connection seems to help nothing in this issue.

Regards.

If you want to help your friend just go to regEdit check the network connection for MS Access, you can find there, and just the value to 20 for 20 connection.

No, you do not need to install the VB IDE on the client. What you need to do is to create an installable package. You can use the PDW but it is well out dated for installing on Vista or 7. Inno has a free installer for VB6 and MS has Windows Installer 1.1. However, with Windows Installer you will have to search for the SDK...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E96F8ABC-62C3-4CC3-93AD-BFC98E3AE4A3&displayLang=en

Good Luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.