My project is to receive data from MRI machine, which has a com port can send serial signals. The data come thru pin3 of the com port and we want to save and read them on a pc. I've check the data with a spectrum analyzer and found the signal consists of 12 bytes in 11520 baud rate and was sent every 4ms. So I have been seeking software to save them. Can anybody help me fig it out or give some hints?

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

What kind of communication that is rs232? or 485?

What kind of communication that is rs232? or 485?

I will use RS232.
Thank you!

Just connect 2nd pin from first connector to 3rd pin on second connector and 3rd pin on first connector to 2nd on second connector,
and 5th from first with 5th from second.

2'''''''''''''''''\/''''''''''''''2
3........../\..........3

Sorry if my drawing skills are not A+ but i hope you got the point.

Now u need to read data sheet and look what are parameters of your device. Baud rate, stop bits, data bits, parity or if you can set it up your self then its your choice and you need have same setup in your program.

Thank you Teropod.

Based on your descriptions, should it be
2""""""""\/"""""""""3
3""""""""\/"""""""""2

I understand how to connect two ports, but don't know how to program because I am complete not familiar with low level settings.

I've check the data with a spectrum analyzer and found the signal consists of 12 bytes in 11520bps and was sent every 4ms. 8 bit data +1 stop bit without parity bit.

Ehm please define me a low level settings?

What device are you trying to connect to comm port?

And don't forget to connect pins 5 to 5 those are grounds you wont be able to close circuit without them.

The device connected to comm port is MRI machine who has a comm port through which we received the data of patient's heart beeting signals and breath frequency signals. We do know how to connect them but need a software to save these signal in a pc.

Ok!
So you don't know how to do it in vb 6.0 or you don't know what kind of data you are getting? Usually those communication devices have protocols and byte positioning what is first byte, what is second and that goes on until you get last byte for end of message. And machine should also have options of some kind to setup comm parameters.

What is model of that machine? Do you have manual of any kind?

Emm, I dno't know how to compile it in VB 6.0 I'm a complete new guy. I've check the data with a spectrum analyzer and only know the signal consists of 12 bytes in 11520 baud rate and was sent every 4ms. The proctocol is rs232. The machine is general Magnetic Resonce Imaging machine which has a serial port to output data. If you need more information I can send you email. Anyway, thank you so much.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.