I'm new to C++ and trying to find a compiler

I tried using visual 2008 but it didn't work... then I re-installed it and can't even open it so I need to find something else

I need something thats noob-friendly and is updated

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

> I tried using visual 2008 but it didn't work
Are you going to expand on "it didn't work".
Do you go the the Doc's and mumble "it hurts" and then expect a cure right off the bat?

Details man, details.

> I tried using visual 2008 but it didn't work
Are you going to expand on "it didn't work".
Do you go the the Doc's and mumble "it hurts" and then expect a cure right off the bat?

Details man, details.

The first install it said something about not being able to open the directory...

now after the reinstall I can't even find out how to open it, there's no .exe or anything

ok this is the error i get:

1>------ Build started: Project: first, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Embedding manifest...
1>mt.exe : general error c10100b1: Failed to load file "..\Debug\first.exe". The system cannot find the path specified.
1>Build log was saved at "file://d:\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\first\first\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>first - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

this is the code i used:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout << 'TESTING 123';
return 0;
}

Bloodshed seems to be my compiler of choice. Also try Eclispe

As is well known Bloodshed Dev-C++ and Code::Blocks are IDE, not compilers. Dev-C++ is a dead project, so better download and install a very good Code::Blocks IDE with MinGW C++ compiler bundled:
http://www.codeblocks.org/

It seems Visual Studio 2008 Express is OK but the author can't select right project parameters (it's strange but the fact remains)...

ArkM:
I installed code::blocks but I still have problems figuring out what new files to make and such for my programs...
This is so confusing....
I got it to work once but it wouldn't build and would run but not say what it was supposed to

like i put cout << 'testing' in my code and it just comes up with a black screen saying it returned 0

It seems your are the 1st programmer in the World who has C++ immunized computer ;)!
Congratulation!

Don'y worry. Read Code::Blocks manual carefully. Try to set Code::Blocks default compiler to MinGW. Regrettably, I have Code::Blocks installed on another computer whis now is occupied by my daughters...

Post your program source. May be, your program simply do nothing and therefore looks like a stealth fighter?..

Remember the magic words: start from a new CONSOLE PROJECT creation then type your text into compiler generated int main() stub...

Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.