Hi,
Badly need help again. I have completed one project and have tried making a setup file using Microsoft Visual Studio Package and Deployment Wizard. It showed no error. I ran the setup file but could not as I saw a message(Error?) and after completing the setup I tried running the program but I got the following message. I will greatly appreciate if someone can please help. Thanking you in advance.

The following is the message I got :

A file being copied is not newer than the file currently on your system. It is recommended that you keep your existing file.

File Name : ‘C:\Windows\System32\msjtes40.dll’

Description : ‘ Microsoft Jet Expression Service
Your Version – ‘4.0.8618.0’

Do you want to keep this file ? YES NO NO to ALL

If more information needed please let me know.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

I do not consider this message as an Error message. It is just a notification that your computer has a file newer than the one being copied.
It is recommended that you choose YES to keep the file.
This message appears depending on system configurations, so it may show on some computer and may not show on other computers.
BUT If you have more problems related to the setup then please describe them AND I'll try to do my best ; )

hi,
thank you for the reply.
And i have tried clicking YES but it wouldnt accept. I just have to click No to ALL inorder to continue.
C:\ is my system drive (where OS is installed) where as i have installed Visual Studio in D:\ drive to save some memory. I hope this has got nothing to so with this. I cant run the software after installing, message like some files could'nt be found is displayed.
Any leads..?
Thanks again.

hmmm...
I think when you press YES; a similar 'BUT NOT THE SAME' message appears but for a different file name, is that right???
I dont think the installation directory for Visual Studio has anything about this.
Can you please tell me what is your current operating system?? Me,XP, or Vista?? AND did you try to run your setup package on ANOTHER computer system??

Yes, you are right. There were more files that I thought was just one. I am listing the files below. I am using Win XP OS and the software works successfully on this system where I developed the s/w. But its on another system that I cant install and am facing all this problems.

MSREPL40.DLL
MSRD3X40.DLL
MSRD2X40.DLL
MSWDAT10.DLL
MSWSTR10.DLL
EXPSRV.DLL
Vbajet32.DLL
MSJINT40.DLL
MSJTER40.DLL
MSJET40.DLL
C:\Program Files\Common Files\ Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll

And after I click YES to all of this as you have suggested, I tried to run the software only to get this message.

“D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Project.mdb” not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.

I have saved my VB project work along with my mdb (MSAccess) in this path

Your project has a database, but did you inlcude it in the Setup Wizard?
And how do you load the database?? Do you give him the EXACT file path or use the relative way (App.Path) ???
I think the problem is that your program is trying to find the database in the exact directory “D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Project.mdb” while it is in fact is not located there...

Waiting for your answers ........

My database is located in “D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Project.mdb”(the same file where all my project files are located..) and during the Package and Deployment Wiz steps i have manually added the .mdb file and finished the wizard. Still the problem presist showing the exact same messages...that it cant locate the file.
“D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Project.mdb” not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.

Now, my guess is, do i have to manually add or start some services(coz the s/w runs without any problem on the maching where VB is installed and where i developed this s/w).

Regards
Chan

I think you have to load the file into your program by using the path:

App.Path & "\Project.mdb"

Instead of

"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Project.mdb"

hay,
I have set it tat way but not much change. My problem seems so rare, but i really thank you for your support and suggestion. M thinking of reinstalling Visual Studio and restarting all over although that by no means is going to solve this problem. I have really run out of options. I will greatly appreciate for any suggestions

regards
Chan

hi,
can anybody please tell me why i am unable to locate the .MDB file. I have even tried using third party software like INNO to make the EXE file for my project. But with the same result.

“D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Project.mdb" cannot locate this file..???

Please give the line of code where u r connecting to the database

I don't think your Visual Studio has a problem.
Frankly, I never used the packaging and deployment system that comes with Visual Studio.
For years of developing and deploying applications, I use IndigoRose Setup Factory.

Developing an app is a major headache, deployment shouldn't be that bad too.
My recommendation, get rid of the package and deployment system that comes with
Visual Studio and invest on a more mature deployment system.

I think the pros would agree with me on this one?

Thanks to both for replying. Actually I have installed VS on another system thinking that it was due to OS conflict, its winXP without service pack and off 2000, which shouldn’t be after I make the setup. connection was don tru DNS. Anyway like you have rightly put it, “Developing an app is a major headache, deployment shouldn't be that bad too”. I am going to use IndigoRose Setup Factory ; I just hope its not complicated to use, but I am sure it will be worth it. Thanks a lot to you TheCrow.

Many thanks again.
Regards!

The software is finally installed and working fine. And how stupid of me!! The message Path to mdb file not found was given because it seems I didn’t create DSN on the computer I am installing the software I created. So after creating the DSN, it worked!
But was that necessary?? I mean do we have to create the DSN on every machine we install the S/w? Is there any way that can address this problem through a code?
Ofcourse ADO/DAO etc are there but apart from this, is there any way?

And I thank each one for your help, suggestion and time. You guys are just so helpful all the time.

Regards.
chanthung

The software is finally installed and working fine. And how stupid of me!! The message Path to mdb file not found was given because it seems I didn’t create DSN on the computer I am installing the software I created. So after creating the DSN, it worked!
But was that necessary?? I mean do we have to create the DSN on every machine we install the S/w? Is there any way that can address this problem through a code?
Ofcourse ADO/DAO etc are there but apart from this, is there any way?

And I thank each one for your help, suggestion and time. You guys just so helpful all the time.
Regards.
chan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.