I want to create a "Help" in an application that I do. I have attached a file for what kind of solution I am after.

The solution is the same type as in VC++ 2008 under "Help" /Index?

How it is constructed is with a listBox on the left side and when clicking on a subject, the information about this appears in a large like "docked" textBox on the right side.
What I wonder here is how and where from the information is taken that appears in this textBox.
Is there a way to write this information in the application directly or do I need to use .txt-files where the information will be red from. A solution with the txt files I know how I could solve.

So what I wonder is if it is possible to instead write the information directly in the program in somehow, so when clicking on a subject in the listBox this will link to a written text that will appear in the large textBox.
Perheps there is a control in the Toolbox that could be used for something like this ?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

That is called a Splitter Window. The only way I know how to do it is with MFC, but I suppose it can be done with pure win32 api functions. Don't know about wxWidgets either.

Could VC++ 2008 have a control called "Splitter Window" if I understand.
I try to find it but the only thing I find is something called: "Split Container" and "Split".
I am not sure if these could be it.
From what I understand is that a "Split Container" only splits an area, for example a panel into 2 panels where I can add controls. So this is not the thing to use.
Important should be that it is possible to write both Bold and Regular and Italic Styles in the right splitted window.
I am not really sure where and how to do this.
The link "Splitter Window" shows source files that could be downloaded. Perheps this is only external components that has to be added to the project to make something like this work ?

That is called a Splitter Window. The only way I know how to do it is with MFC, but I suppose it can be done with pure win32 api functions. Don't know about wxWidgets either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are using the .NET Frameworks with C++, are you not?

If you are, have you tried looking up information on individual Components in the .NET Frameworks the way you want them to?

I was capable of compiling and running this example using Visual C++ 9.0 express edition (in CLR Console Application mode).

Yes that is correct, I use .NET Frameworks with C++.
I tried to compile that example but did not really manage it to work.

The thing is that I will need to find a solution with a listBox and clickevents
but the problem that I have is to find a way to Insert text in a multilined textBox I think?

I beleive I have to write "Help" Contents in C++ in any Control, where you can write
Bold, Regular and Italic Text where different written text:s will be inserted when clicking
different topics in the listBox Control.

I have searched trough the Tool Box Controls but cant really find a component that will work for this.
I dont know if something like this is possible with the standard components or if I need any external .dll to manage something like this.

I attached an example how WordPad is doing this. What I wonder is where the text comes from in the Right side of the "Split".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are using the .NET Frameworks with C++, are you not?

If you are, have you tried looking up information on individual Components in the .NET Frameworks the way you want them to?

I was capable of compiling and running this example using Visual C++ 9.0 express edition (in CLR Console Application mode).

I wonder a little about this MFC.
In VC++ 2008 Express Edition, is it possible to do this here.
If it is, I dont know the first steps of how to do this.
Is there any special "Ready things" for creating html helps like layouts that you use
to write and add text to.
From what I do understand is that the "Help" file will be a separat program that I can open
from the main application.
But how do I create this program in that case ?

In the "Add Class" I have these to choose between. Should I have MFC here ?
C++ Class
Windows Form
Component Class

I wonder a little about this MFC.
In VC++ 2008 Express Edition, is it possible to do this here.

No. That version does not support MFC. You have to get the Pro version to do that.

Thanks.. What is the exact name of that version and is it possible to download from somewhere ?

No. That version does not support MFC. You have to get the Pro version to do that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.