I need help with this program please.
This is a program that will turn your first name into a group of numbers with a being equal to 1 and so on. This program does this but I need to have it total all the numbers in the name. I was told try an accumulator but so far I haven't had any luck.
Thank you

import string
import math

def main():

print ("This is a program that converts a users first name into it's numerical value." )

#get name

name = raw_input("Please enter your name: ")
uname = string.lower (name)

#Use ASCII minus 96 to get numeric values

print "Here is your name code:"
for ch in(uname):
x = ord(ch)-96,
string.sum(x)
print sum(x),

raw_input("Press <Enter> to exit")

main()

Sorry for placing my first post in the welcome center lol. I'm new here.
This is a program that will turn your first name into a group of numbers with a being equal to 1 and so on. This program does this but I need to have it total all the numbers in the name. I was told try an accumulator but so far I haven't had any luck.
Thank you

import string
import math

def main():

print ("This is a program that converts a users first name into it's numerical value." )

#get name

for ch in(uname):
x = ord(ch)-96,
string.sum(x)
print sum(x),

main()

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

First of all you need to surround your code with the code tags, to achieve something like this:

import math

I think you first try to tabulate your code and the read some documentation about global variables in python. This done, an accumulator will come out pretty straightforward.

best regards,
bc.

Thank you

import string
import math

def main():

#get name

for ch in(uname):
x = ord(ch)-96,
string.sum(x)
print sum(x),

main()

Don't double post... but regardless, check your other post in this same forum.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.