can any1 help at all please? i am requried to develop the following number guessing game using VB's winsock. i have no ideas so please help

The system that needs to be developed requires
· Between 3 and 5 clients playing against each other in a fair manner
· two game servers operating in tandem (acting for fault tolerance)
· it is recommended that a ‘super’ control application be used to keep the servers in synchronisation
· the number to be guessed is only to be input at one of the game servers at the start of a game.
· some form of protocol between the various applications must be developed that permits the system to operate
· NO central data stores are permitted
· On each server & client will be a button. Each time this button is pressed it will either turn it on or off (via the use of a global variable within that form). This will permit the actual application to carry on running, but can not send or act upon any messages received.

In the VB we can make use of the split command to split a string

To Split a String
Dim strname As String
strname = "fred$bert$sid$"
message = Split(strname, "$", -1, vbTextCompare)
temp = message(0)
temp1 = message(1)
temp2 = message(2)

The protocol required for this assignment will expect to make use of this type of protocol where the first letter will indicate the function, and any other details will follow with $ separators.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

To Easy... when I get out of work, I'll let you know.

To Easy... when I get out of work, I'll let you know.

that would be great if you could help me. cheers

can any1 help at all please? i am requried to develop the following number guessing game using VB's winsock. i have no ideas so please help

The system that needs to be developed requires
· Between 3 and 5 clients playing against each other in a fair manner
· two game servers operating in tandem (acting for fault tolerance)
· it is recommended that a ‘super’ control application be used to keep the servers in synchronisation
· the number to be guessed is only to be input at one of the game servers at the start of a game.
· some form of protocol between the various applications must be developed that permits the system to operate
· NO central data stores are permitted
· On each server & client will be a button. Each time this button is pressed it will either turn it on or off (via the use of a global variable within that form). This will permit the actual application to carry on running, but can not send or act upon any messages received.

In the VB we can make use of the split command to split a string

To Split a String
Dim strname As String
strname = "fred$bert$sid$"
message = Split(strname, "$", -1, vbTextCompare)
temp = message(0)
temp1 = message(1)
temp2 = message(2)

The protocol required for this assignment will expect to make use of this type of protocol where the first letter will indicate the function, and any other details will follow with $ separators.

Oh dear, I fear that you've left this one a little bit too late.

check the documentation given on blackboard - week 4+6
phil

Oh dear, I fear that you've left this one a little bit too late.

check the documentation given on blackboard - week 4+6
phil

cheers phil, but already done. this forums rubbish no1 helps.

Patience is a virtue,

I'm sorry I was unable to get a response, after work that day, but my system was fritzing, and would only load certain pages. After spending a signifcant amount of time, trying to get my system functional again, my visual basic didn't work. I'd hate to have given you poor guidance. No Response, is better than a wrong one, in my opinion.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.