I am new to programming. I have taken two programming class (one we used qbasic and this semester I am taking a VB.NET class). I really enjoy programming exspecially in VB. I have done great so far. But then we get to a chapter on classes and I am have trouble understand it. I understand the concepts but have trouble appling it to the program. I just wanted some feed back from programming experts. Is this something you have to apply many times to understand fully? Do most people have problems with this at 1st (it seems like the whole class is struggling)? Is there any advice that anyone can give me that helped them understand better?

Thank You for your time,

Richie

Ok let me see if I can help.

A CLASS is nothing more than a blueprint of an object. And an object is nothing more than a "physical" (actually virtual is a better word) representation of a CLASS. And when we say INSTANTIATE and object or class we mean to create the object in memory.

lets look at a real world example.

The class will be Book
Like any blueprint, it will contain the attributes of the object it describes. So every book has a name or title, an author, and number of pages.

CLASS Book
Title
Author
Pages

If I were to instantiate a book (create one) that class definition (or blueprint for the object) requires you to provide the Title, author and Pages, for that book object.

Hope that helps

And to answer your question, it is a difficulty that most people have when they first start to learn about oop (object oriented programming).

Class Book
{
Dim m_Title as String
Dim m_Author as String
Dim m_Pages as String
}

I am new to programming. I have taken two programming class (one we used qbasic and this semester I am taking a VB.NET class). I really enjoy programming exspecially in VB. I have done great so far. But then we get to a chapter on classes and I am have trouble understand it. I understand the concepts but have trouble appling it to the program. I just wanted some feed back from programming experts. Is this something you have to apply many times to understand fully? Do most people have problems with this at 1st (it seems like the whole class is struggling)? Is there any advice that anyone can give me that helped them understand better?

Thank You for your time,

Richie

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.