hi i am trying to create a application for doctors n have to enter all the information regarding the patients i am using access as the database n nw the problem is tat the doc is supposed to save the patient details n when he opens it again he shld be able to add new medicines n new appointments bt when i try entering all the details in one table it gives me an exception regrading duplicating a value of primary key n if i use two tables then they dont take the values as required plzzzzzz help

if i have to guess then you try to insert a value into the DB for a field that is primary that already exist. but would help ofc if you post the code snippet where the error shows up.

actually let me tell u in detail where the prob is i hav created a database n one table in it that takes up all the information about the patient e.g name ,address, ph.no etc.nw i also hav to manage if the patient has medical history the doctor should get a msgbox showing the history.so shld i create a new table n link both tables or add it in the same table.also there is a search option that will search the patient detail using the reg_no which is the primary key in the table.so i hav a prob deciding whether i shld create a new table for medical history n link both the tables or add it in the same table.also as the medical history has to be added prescribed drugs n appointments also hav to be added.so shld i create new tables for these both also or add them in the same table.tats my prob
plzzzzzzzzzzzzz help
i hav a deadline to finish or else i am finished

actually let me tell u in detail where the prob is i hav created a database n one table in it that takes up all the information about the patient e.g name ,address, ph.no etc.nw i also hav to manage if the patient has medical history the doctor should get a msgbox showing the history.so shld i create a new table n link both tables or add it in the same table.also there is a search option that will search the patient detail using the reg_no which is the primary key in the table.so i hav a prob deciding whether i shld create a new table for medical history n link both the tables or add it in the same table.also as the medical history has to be added prescribed drugs n appointments also hav to be added.so shld i create new tables for these both also or add them in the same table.tats my prob
plzzzzzzzzzzzzz help
i hav a deadline to finish or else i am finished

yes u need to create a seperate table ,so that the patient details is seperate and the medical history is seperate and maintain a seperate table for previous appointment table (with the drugs,and reg_no "it refers to the patient") and have seperate table for new appointment(with reg_no "it refers to the patient") so its clear

but then how do i link those tables.n how do i retrive the records.n nother thing is tat if i give reg_no as a primary key then it is not possible to enter medicines and appointments later i.e. next time when the patient comes coz the reg_no will be duplicated.
plz help

but then how do i link those tables.n how do i retrive the records.n nother thing is tat if i give reg_no as a primary key then it is not possible to enter medicines and appointments later i.e. next time when the patient comes coz the reg_no will be duplicated.
plz help

yes it is possible to enter the values later in the same table but with certain things to take care about. :

dont save the data with reg_no also.. but instead ask for the reg_no and then retrieve the data from the Database that is related to that reg_no and then update that table accordingly..
if u give some code snippet..then we will be able to help you more precisely.. :)

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.