how to set product name for windows installer through command line?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

msiexec /i A:\Example.msi ProductName=VALUE

have you tested it, did it work?

have you tested it, did it work?

Microsoft said it would work so I'm sure it's fine--LOL. No, I did not test it.

i tested it before asking, and it didnt work.

Could you please test it for me? if that works i will add to your reputation for ten days.

Could you please test it for me? if that works i will add to your reputation for ten days.

It did not work for me either!--sorry. I will investigate further...

According to the MS documentation (for what it is worth), you cannot change the value of a private property from the command line. Now, in trying to determine which were private, I kind of got lost in the endless freaken links MS has there, but I believe I read something about the public ones being all uppercase, which leads me to believe ProductName is a private property--bummer. Regardless, I could not get that command line option to work for my test with my defined property anyway.

I'm not sure why you want to do this, but I suspect you are wanting to use the same setup for multiple products?

I got sidetracked, but I have read that you can accomplish this by creating a "transform" and then launching with a transform to change the property. I haven't had a chance to figure out what that entails--do you have any idea what that's about?

You are becoming my most favorite poster in daniweb after Scott(sknake).

This example is outlined in VB code, but it gets the point across very well I believe. I am too tired to pursue this transformation of the DB. Check this out: customizing-installation-using-transforms

Again, since you didn't answer any questions, I have made assumptions that you have a need similar to what is described in this article: Reuse a single MSI

I hope that helps you reach your goal.

Cheers!

what are the questions that i didnt answer?
basically i need to set product name dynamically, that is all i need.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.