My Toshiba laptop is having some major problems with its start up. Upon start up, there is a black screen with white writing that says:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or becaue the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Winows Normally.

-Safe Mode
-Safe Mode with Netwoking
-Safe Mode with Command Prompt
-Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
-Start windows normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight of your choice.
Countdown: 30"

I have tried every single one of the options, especially safe mode and I have the same result (the computer screen fickers the blue screen of death and then restarts the computer and brings up the same screen) with a little differences of course.
- In safe mode, dos (im guessing it's dos) command prompts start running but then restarts the computer, but not before the blue "screen of death" flickers for a brief second.
-Safe Mode With Networking- the same thing happens as what happens with dos, including the blue "screen of death" and restarting the computer
-Safe Mode with command prompt- same thing
-Last Known Good Configuration:Microsoft windows xp startup window shows up and the blue scrolling thing at the bottom run, but again, flickers the blue screen of death and then restarts back to the same screen
-Start Windows Normally: same as last known good configuration above.

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Hi,

I remember having this same problem with my Acer Laptop a year ago. In my case an actual window popped up. If memory serves me right I believe it was a virus of a sort, which even after a format appeared again. Again if memory serves me right what I did was save all my antivirus update files, anti trojan, etc. reformatted--set up my anti virus and other stuff before going online (in other words all was up to date. Then, before going to windows update (and this I believe is important). I did a virus scan and anti trojan scan etc. Then I I went to PC-Cillin and McAfee free online scan (if u do this get the exact website link b4 formatting your hd), then and only then did I go to the windows update site. I say then and only then because in a previous attempt with the same problem this popped up only after updating windows.

So yes, unfortunately my answer requires a formatting, and this I know is a last solution. Therefore before doing so, why not check to see for viruses, trojans etc with your antivirus and the online ones. Now, the qestion here is, How do you do so if you can't get into your windows? I know that some antivirus programs do allow you to do so from the boot process so it's a question of finding out how, but sorry I don't know this answer. perhaps your antivirus forum page or FAQ does.

Hi Cara,
it sounds as if windows is at least trying to load from the HD but has a problem with a driver or executable that it needs as a basic necessity.
As a first way out - do you have a M$ XP install CD? Then set your BIOS to boot from a CD [press Delete during POST on a restart] and insert your CD, select CD as first boot device and Enter. Now you must be sure to get the correct option. Wait until you get a simple, blue "Welcome to Windows" screen. From the options choose To setup win XP press Enter. It will than give you the option to REPAIR your installation - CHOOSE THIS . That way you will keep your application settings and all your files intact.
If you have an OEM cd then i cannot advise, because some of those take your system back to as new ie all your files are removed. In this case come back and say...
Heck, please come back and say how you got on in any case....

i have the same exact problem what did you figure out

i have the same problem as carolsnyder! what is the solution?

Iv been a tech for a while now and this sounds like a normal problem that windows usally runs into. Windows it loading but it sounds that one or more of the startup files are corrupt. This is a easy fix it just take some time. First thing is do you have the XP Cd if you don't do you have a floppy drive?

Let me Know
Tech TJ

i think so but i'm not certain where it is. i'm using another pc right now that is how i'm online

OK so you have windows XP Pro or Windows XP Home. And you do have a Floppy drive right? on both computers

Tech TJ

Cara

I have exactly same problem with My toshiba laptop, did you resolved this problem by XP CD, please let me know so that I could follow your lesson learns

My Toshiba laptop is having some major problems with its start up. Upon start up, there is a black screen with white writing that says:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or becaue the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Winows Normally.

-Safe Mode
-Safe Mode with Netwoking
-Safe Mode with Command Prompt
-Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
-Start windows normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight of your choice.
Countdown: 30"

I have tried every single one of the options, especially safe mode and I have the same result (the computer screen fickers the blue screen of death and then restarts the computer and brings up the same screen) with a little differences of course.
- In safe mode, dos (im guessing it's dos) command prompts start running but then restarts the computer, but not before the blue "screen of death" flickers for a brief second.
-Safe Mode With Networking- the same thing happens as what happens with dos, including the blue "screen of death" and restarting the computer
-Safe Mode with command prompt- same thing
-Last Known Good Configuration:Microsoft windows xp startup window shows up and the blue scrolling thing at the bottom run, but again, flickers the blue screen of death and then restarts back to the same screen
-Start Windows Normally: same as last known good configuration above.

Hi guyz I really need ur help.The other day I was browsing the internet then all of a sudden my computer hanged so I tried to restart it then it kept showing this message that windows did not start normally blal bla with the options of safe mode safe mde with networking and all the other crap so I chose safemode with networking and thats how am online right now but now there is no sound at all on my computer it keeps telling me about baddirect sound driver..pleaase help out people am gong nuts sitting in a silent room..
Thanks
By the way I have a hp compaq nx6110 notebook and my operating system is Wndows XP

To Repair Windows XP from your XP CD…..

1. If you have AVG Free, copy serial number to a file as you will lose it on repair. After repair a window will pop up asking how you want to treat AVG, Click repair and when prompted enter serial number.
2. Re-start PC with XP CD in drive (Have your serial number handy)
3. As your PC starts press “F12” for boot menu (Or what your PC may ask for)
4. Scroll to and select “boot from CD.”
5. At prompt “Press any key to boot from CD” Press “Any key”
6. In the Windows XP Setup window, Press “Enter” to set up windows XP, (Don’t worry, this is a repair only, not a fresh install.)
7. At next window, Press “F8” to accept license agreement
8. Wait until windows displays your current version of XP and asks “To repair the selected windows XP installation press R”
9. Press “R”
10. Enter serial number when prompted.
11. Wait for files to be copied (PC will indicate 39 mins, it will take a lot less.)
12. When asked to adjust Regional language options, click “Next” as it is still set.
13. PC will re-boot.

I have the same problem, but I am unable to get to the setup so it will boot to CD. I have tried the Delete and F12 suggestions offered, but to no avail. No matter what selection I choose, it automatically kicks me back to the black Safe Mode, etc. screen. Any other suggestions?

Are you saying that your PC will not react to pressing "Delete or F12"? If you have a USB keyboard it may not load until windows loads and therefore not work on boot up. Get a PS2 keyboard and try that. Other than that I can offer no idea as to why your PC would not go into set-up "Delete" Boot Mode "F12" . Yes there is, read your black screen at boot up, what is asked for there to enter both set-up and boot menu? If your PC is asking for something different, then use that command.

Boot menu F key varies....

F12 is supposed to be the boot menu key, but it doesn't respond. Once it gets to the black screen, the keyboard works, so I'm not sure why it would be unresponsive before that. Setup is supposed to be F1 on that computer, but it doesn't work either. I'll give the PS2 keyboard a try.

Get back with a result please

The keyboard I was using was a PS2, so no glory.

Could this be a hard drive problem?

my pc at home is having this problem. but xp was already installed when i bought this pc and didn't come with CD. what can i do?????

If none of those OS load options works then it means that you machine cannot recognise your hdd, otherwise I think you would see a different message? Use BIOS setup to check that your hdd is correctly represented in the boot order.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.