when i run cat . i displays some weird characters which is fine, but after that i can not turn back to my normal directory path. it always shows some weird characters in my directory path too.

Why? how to turn back?

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by serkan sendur

Use reset to reset your shell. You can use cat /dev/urandom to get random junk data which should screw your terminal up, then issuing a reset should fix it.

No -- This will not reboot your computer :)

What is your prompt? Post the output of set . It fixes mine.

Can you take a screenshot of the before and after of your terminal being screwed up?

Edited by sknake: n/a

if i post the output of set, the bosses would put me out :D
about the screenshot, it is not possible because when i run your command, it goes in an infinite loop and keeps showing some characters continuesly.

^Z sends a process in to the background (detaches, not truly the background):

Use "fg" to return to nano.
                           zsh: suspended (signal)  nano
$

So how about those screenshots or +solved? :)

Edited by sknake: n/a

Nah, I have fun posting :) The little number doesn't do much for me. What I really like is when people ask questions that I don't know the answer to and it interests me so I go and learn something new. That is really what i'm about. Plus its been fun getting to know you guys. Danny turned me on to a new beer making 2.5k posts worth it!

could you elaborate "Danny turned me on to a new beer making 2.5k posts worth it!"
i didnt get it :)

I was answering one of his posts and later on in an email he was telling me about another Belgian beer he liked, Duvells, because I was talking about Allagash White. I went up to the liquor store and picked up some Duvells and it was worth it :)

Attachments monster.jpg 29.5 KB

Oh Scott, my friend, Danny needs to tell you about Belgian girls, you can get love drunk of their beauty. Once i met a Belgian girl, Emy Dupont, because of her i learned French language..

it is time to make you happy Scott, i mark this thread as solved, the solution to this problem is to close your telnet application and reopen it.
when you try to cat a binary file, it corrupts the command prompt.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.