Hi folks,

C++ and Java are platform independent. It is for sure. Java is a resource hog. The learning curve of C++ is quite steep at start. What I'm going to use C++ is to build a platform independent software with sound and graphic integrated as well interactive. Would C++ be the right choice for me? Any other suggestion? TIA

B.R.
satimis

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Yes, C++ would be good.

Java sounds good too. It's no resource hog, if you know how to use it (just like C++ is a resource hog if you don't know how to use it).

Yes, C++ would be good.

Noted and thanks

satimis

Java sounds good too. It's no resource hog, if you know how to use it (just like C++ is a resource hog if you don't know how to use it).

Hi jweting,

Thanks for your advice.

What I'm prepared to do is building a software which is platform independent, with sound, graphics and data displayed on a frame. I would compile sound and graphics files on the software but not data file. The .dat file is changed frequently, also available on different languages. Sound and graphic files are only changed periodically.

I'm only starting learning C++. It won't be difficult for me to turn my direction to Java, or any suitable language, only sacrificing 1~2 days in searching stuffs on Internet for its learning.

It is important to me to have the software created independent of platform. I found that to learn C++ I only need a text editor, vi/nano/pico or event gedit, and g++. It is quite convenient.

Any further advice? TIA

B.R.
satimis

You cn use both as C++ is more powerful and java is more plateform indipendent so better to review the implimentation of ur software u should choose one.

It is important to me to have the software created independent of platform. I found that to learn C++ I only need a text editor, vi/nano/pico or event gedit, and g++. It is quite convenient.

and with java you only need an editor and a compiler too.
No difference :)

I second(third...) C++
I will also advice you use wxWidgets if you want GUI (and yes some graphics) and it have basic sound (like wav). Go for libmad for mp3 playing, vorbis, flac et al for advanced thing. If it is free/open source consider bass library. I have once done full Audio player with Bass/wxWidgets and C++

Of course I will advice getting Codelite IDE beundled with Mingw after you start the project
all the best :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.