hello all while looking on msdn i noticed there was a visual basic express edition that can be downloaded???

i currently just have the (working edition that came with a book so i cannot turn a programe into an exe ,just for home /personel use)

its not that clear on msdn site wether the express addition enables me to create an exe file??

or if this is free to try ,do not want to download what is proberbly a very large programe without a bit more info.

thank you

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

its not that clear on msdn site wether the express addition enables me to create an exe file??

or if this is free to try ,do not want to download what is proberbly a very large programe without a bit more info.

thank you

"Visual Basic Express Edition Beta 2" is free to download at the moment, as it is a pre-release version with no support. Once its properly released it'll be $49, according to the faq http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/faq/default.aspx , which also states you can distribute applications you create.
This should answer any other questions as well.

Note that this is for building against .NET 2.0, so it may not be what you are looking for if you are developing in VB6.

thanks stealth fox for reply have seen some info on express, but still not sure if it is an updated vertion of vb6, or something that is structured to make web/pages or programmes, i do not have info on vb net, just would like to be able to make exe programmes for home use

thank you

This is not an updated version of VB 6. Visual Basic 6 is done, everything from Microsoft standpoint is moving towards .NET. The latest being .NET 2.0 (currently non-beta is .NET 1.1) and Visual Basic Express version is a beta 2 version of an IDE for developing applications using VB.NET.
:D
Hope that helps.

thanks stealth fox for reply have seen some info on express, but still not sure if it is an updated vertion of vb6, or something that is structured to make web/pages or programmes, i do not have info on vb net, just would like to be able to make exe programmes for home use

thank you

thanks paladine, i did try to download the express beta2 vertion yesterday but the vbsetup installer informed me that i require a later vertion of windows ,i am currently running win98se, i apparently need win2000 or xp to run the express vertion,

thank you

So am I to understand that VB Express is as rich in function as previous versions of VB6 and VB .Net 2003, or is it richer or is it a 'lite' version? I've been contemplating buying VB .Net 2003. Any reason I should proceed or just use VB Express???

Thanks in advance,
Mike

VB Express is the Newest VB.Net version (.Net 2.0 - still in Beta). It is not a "lite" version, it is an upgrade to the current VB.Net. New Objects, functionality, etc. Just like going from VB6 to VB.net (but not quite as much change for certain).

I would say it is RICHER than previous version of VB

You could get VB.Net 2003 (.Net Framework 1.1) , but keep in mind that in the not to distant future .Net Framework 2.0 will be the newest coding tools. And from what I hear the Express versions will be available for purchase at a reasobale price of $49 to $149 I think. Way cheaper than the Current Visual Studio.net 2003 versions.

It depends on what you want to go with. Current 1.1 which is proven, or prepare for 2.0 with use of the express beta2 suites?

I personally have been dabling in 2.0 to take advantage of some changes, and ease of functionality that has been added.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.