I have a ps3 and I have been using it to stream my huge media collection to my TV. my ps3 failed, I keep reflowing it but it keeps overheating but that's not what this is about. I have all my media set up the way I like it on the media server. But the network performance of Windows Media center lacks the speed and ease of use that I have come accustom too.

I would like to set up an app that just displays media servers on the network and allows simple navigation of them and streaming of video files. I can play videos with managed direct X with no problem, and designing an interface is the fun part. But I can't seem to find any decent documentation on connecting to "a windows media server"

If anyone could help me with this I would appreciate it. I just want to create a dirt simple application to make things easy to browse with just arrows and enter/back button navigation. Connecting to the media server is the problem. I could easily just network shared folders, but that's not what I want.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I have discovered that the media server is a upnp/av media server. I found a wealth of information about creating a server. but little about creating a media renderer. also it appears that all the tools like "DeviceSpy" don't see any upnp stacks on my system because of my network configuration, And that makes figuring out the protocol that much more difficult.

Since I can't find any basic documentation on this, and all the tools I can find don't seem to work on either of my PCs. I have decided to just write a menu that searches the network for shared folders and lists them, And that was much more simple. Not what I wanted. But a suitable solution.

Thanks, But I have read this before. I did find most useful the source for the 360 server. But Its unfortunately mostly about the server. Not the media renderer. The rest of the links on that page aren't very helpful. I guess I don't have as much time to devote to this as I hoped, for now listing shared resources seems to be working ok. since all the media server files were in shared folders anyway. I'm working on creating an easy nav that can be done with arrow keys only for network folder browsing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.