hi guys,

using a for loop i want to be able to pause it, display string in text box for 60 seconds then move to the next loop,change content of the string and display it again for 60 seconds.this should go on till end of count.i am currently using a timer in do while loop to pause, but instead of displaying the string contents in each loop,it adds up all contents in all the loops and displays them at the end of count,not what i want. i tried using 'sleep' funtion but its behaving the same.below is the code:

For i = 1 To count Step 3

'empty string
                    disall = ""
                    less = count - cnt

If less < 0 Then
                        less = 0
                    End If

If sex = "m" Then
                        myCmd1 = New SqlCommand("select top 3 * from (select row_number() over(order by Age) as RowNumber,Tel,Name,Age,Sex,Town,Description from members where Town='" & town & "') as myResults where RowNumber>'" & counter & "' and Sex='f' and  Town ='" & town & "' and  Age >= '" & age1 & "' and Age <= '" & age2 & "'", myCon)
                    Else
                        myCmd1 = New SqlCommand("select top 3 * from (select row_number() over(order by Age) as RowNumber,Tel,Name,Age,Sex,Town,Description from members where Sex='m') as myResults where RowNumber>'" & counter & "' and Sex='m' and  Town ='" & town & "' and  Age >= '" & age1 & "' and Age <= '" & age2 & "'", myCon)

End If

myadap.SelectCommand = myCmd1
                    myadap.Fill(ds)
                    dv = New DataView(ds.Tables(0))
                    DataGridView1.DataSource = dv

dr = myCmd1.ExecuteReader

While dr.Read
                        dis1 = (dr(1).ToString())
                        dis2 = (dr(2).ToString())
                        dis3 = (dr(3).ToString())
                        dis4 = (dr(5).ToString())
                        disall += dis2 & " aged " & dis3 & " " & dis1 & ","
'assign contents to string,which will be different in the next for loop                        
strall = disall & ".Send NEXT to 5001 to receive details of the remaining " & less & " ladies"
                        'TextSend.Text = strall
                    End While

counter += 3
                    count = count - 3
                    dr.Close()
                    Dim Start, Finish As Double
                    Start = Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Timer
                    Finish = Start + 60.0   ' Set end time for 60-second duration.
                    Do While Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Timer < Finish
'display string contents which should be different in the next for loop                        
TextSend.Text = strall
                    Loop
                    'Threading.Thread.Sleep(10000)
                Next

any ideas,will be appreciated.

Put the query in a seperate thread and invoke the result like so:

Private Delegate Sub TextDelegate(ByVal s As String)

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
		Dim th As New System.Threading.Thread(AddressOf RunQuery) With {.IsBackground = True}
		th.Start()
	End Sub

Private Sub SetText(ByVal txt As String)
		TextSend.Text = txt
	End Sub

Private Sub RunQuery()
		For i = 1 To count Step 3

'empty string
			disall = ""
			less = count - cnt

If less < 0 Then
				less = 0
			End If

'u should parameter here instead
			myCmd1 = New SqlCommand("select top 3 * from (select row_number() over(order by Age) as RowNumber,Tel,Name,Age,Sex,Town,Description from members where Town='" & town & "') as myResults where RowNumber>'" & counter & "' and Sex='" & If(sex="m","m","f") & ' and  Town ='" & town & "' and  Age >= '" & age1 & "' and Age <= '" & age2 & "'", myCon)

myadap.SelectCommand = myCmd1
			myadap.Fill(ds)
			dv = New DataView(ds.Tables(0))
			DataGridView1.DataSource = dv

dr = myCmd1.ExecuteReader

While dr.Read
				dis1 = (dr(1).ToString())
				dis2 = (dr(2).ToString())
				dis3 = (dr(3).ToString())
				dis4 = (dr(5).ToString())
				disall += dis2 & " aged " & dis3 & " " & dis1 & ","
				'assign contents to string,which will be different in the next for loop                        
				strall = disall & ".Send NEXT to 5001 to receive details of the remaining " & less & " ladies"
				'TextSend.Text = strall
			End While

counter += 3
			count = count - 3
			dr.Close()
			Me.Invoke(New TextDelegate(AddressOf SetText), strall)
			Threading.Thread.Sleep(60000)
		Next
	End Sub
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.