hi
i guess the title pretty much states the question but i will give the senario to be more clear.

i have a mousemove() event which i add in my program programmatically and i need a way for raising that event (again) programmatically too.

raiseEvent control_mousemove() doesn't work as it says that "'control_MouseDown' is not an event of 'main'."

I read in the msdn site that You cannot use RaiseEvent to raise events that are not explicitly declared in the module.

So can i actually raise the event programmatically if the event was added programatically and how? if not any ideas on how to work around this?

thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Does using (sender, e) help?

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button2_MouseMove(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs)
        Button2.BackColor = Color.Orange
    End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Button2_MouseMove(sender, e)
    End Sub
End Class

this doesn't raise the event. it just calls it like a simple sub.
i did manage to raise the event but for some reason the code gets executed but nothing happens on the interface. so i drag the control (which its mousedown event is called )but it doesn't get dragged.

Posting code always helps, even if having to make a sample project just for such.

through this class i can raise the events that were added programmatically

Class MouseEvent

Public Event btnMove_MouseDown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As MouseEventArgs)
Public Event btnMove_MouseMove(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As MouseEventArgs)

Public Sub GenerateEventDown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As MouseEventArgs)

RaiseEvent btnMove_MouseDown(sender, e)

End Sub

Public Sub GenerateEventMove(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As MouseEventArgs)

RaiseEvent btnMove_MouseMove(sender, e)

End Sub

End Class

Dim WithEvents RaiseEventProgrammatically As New MouseEvent()

THis where i use the class above to call the events
Private Sub btnPin_MouseDown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs) _
Handles btnRedPin.MouseDown, btnGreenPin.MouseDown, btnBluePin.MouseDown

Me.Cursor = Cursors.Hand

''''
code missing
''
AddHandler RaiseEventProgrammatically.btnMove_MouseDown, AddressOf btnMove_MouseDown

RaiseEventProgrammatically.GenerateEventDown(objPin, e)

End Sub

and these are the two events that i add programmatically

Public Sub btnMove_MouseDown( _
ByVal sender As Object, _
ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs)

' Get sender
Dim objSender As DragButton
objSender = sender

'''''
code missing

'' '
' Re-Draw object
objSender.Invalidate()

AddHandler RaiseEventProgrammatically.btnMove_MouseMove, AddressOf btnMove_MouseMove
RaiseEventProgrammatically.GenerateEventMove(objSender, e)

End If

End Sub

Private Sub btnMove_MouseMove( _
ByVal sender As Object, _
ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs)

' Get sender
Dim objSender As DragButton
objSender = sender

If Not objSender.Dragging Then Exit Sub

' Move control to new position
Dim MPosition As New Point()
MPosition = Me.PointToClient(MousePosition)
MPosition.Offset(objSender.PosX, objSender.PosY)

' Ensure control cannot leave container
objSender.Location = MPosition

RemoveHandler RaiseEventProgrammatically.btnMove_MouseDown, AddressOf btnMove_MouseDown

End Sub

with these code the mousemove does get raised (breakpoint gets hit)but the movement doesn't appear on the screen

any suggestions?
thanks anyway

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.