Ok.

I have Jbuilder 8 Personal from Borland Installed, and am wondering how to start off in java. Should I convert the file after i've finished into a windows executable, and if so how would I go about it?

Anyone recommend any good tutorials for a computing-experience person, but wants to start java?

Thanks In Advance

Do you have any other programming experience? I might be able to make a better recommendation if you tell me how much experience you have. Also, if you are starting out with Java, I recommend you not using something like JBuilder. I think it's too bulky, slow, and all the other features might seem overwhelming, and you won't even use them while you're starting off. I recommend you using JCreator. It's a fast IDE for Java written in C++ and not Java, which means it'll run a lot faster. The URL is: http://www.jcreator.com/

Let me know if you have some experience with programming.

Dan, I just looked at the screenshots of JCreator and it looks a lot like Visual Studio 6, no?

Yeah, I guess it does look a little bit like it, but a lot of editors have the same look. I really like it because it's fast. JBuilder is just so slow in my opinion. I don't think Java does a good job in the field of GUIs... except for the philosophy of "program once, run almost anywhere"

This thread is a little old...but what the heck.

I personally use JCreator for all my projects too. I agree that JBuilder is rather bulky, so I hardly ever use it. However, not all Swing applications or Java GUIs are as slow as that.

I'm currently using an excellent Java text editor called jEdit and I can say its been a real pleasure using it. The only problem is the start-up time, but it isn't that bad. jEdit is what Java GUI applications should be. :)

if u want to statrt learning java read Java core
it's a good java refrence

new record for Daniweb I think, 3+ years after the last post which was itself a year after the subject had been discarded.

if u want to statrt learning java read Java core
it's a good java refrence

<trying to resist comment/> If you want to be attentive, you should start reading post dates.

Hi JSP is served by the Jakarta Tomcat Engine. I believe you will have to install a connector in order for it to work with apache. The last time I had Tomcat set up it was used as a standalone only and it did not come as a service. You had to configure that too.

I suggest using the SunWappserver 9.0 along with the tutorial bundle. It will introduce you to JSP, Servlets, XML, Soap and much much more!!! I have it configured on my LAMP server but if you have windows, it will be much easier to install. Go and search sun.com or the web for the Java EE 5 sdk (includes appserver and database) and also the java EE 5 tutorial bundle. The bundle has tutorials for a bookstore app and a banking app. These tutorials will introduce you to the Model-View-Controller (MVC) and common design patterns used in the industry today. Oh yeah, the appserver also comes equiped with a database to deploy your applications. You'll will also be introduced to ANT (another neat tool) for packaging and deployment. Very Easy Installation...Good luck!!!

I made a site namely http://www.freejavaguide.com and hence would like to share some of the useful parts of the site that can be used be each of you.

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
-----------------------------
Java
C
C++
SQL
Oracle
XML
HTML

JAVA PROGRAMMING
--------------------------
JAVA Tutorial
Java SCJP Notes 1
Java Test
SCJP Notes 2
Java JDBC Program Tutorial

ORACLE
------------
SQL Tutorial
PLSQL Tutorial

OTHERS
-------------
Information for Job Seekers
HTML Tutorial
Puzzles
Web mastery

NEW ATTRACTIONS
------------------------
FORUM
EBOOKS
WWE CDS
IT Walkins
SOURCE CODE ( THE HOTTEST PART OF ALL)

and some IBM Programmers Tutorials.

Everything in the website can't be covered here and hence I would like you all to check out this site namely
http://www.freejavaguide.com

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.