I heard that in order to sell a software created using VB, we must buy a license from Microsoft. Is there anyone know where I can buy it? Or maybe someone can tell me how much it costs?

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

>I heard that in order to sell a software created using VB, we must buy a license from Microsoft.

You don't need any type of license. Read this thread -http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread285976.html (Reselling your own work is totally up to you. You own that code. You decide how to sell it.)

are you sure about that? here's some information I got from Microsoft in my country. As long as we create the code for our own use, it's free. but when we want to sell the code, we have to purchase a license in order to respect the creator of VB. He told me that the license can be found in Amazon which I can't find actually.
And about the link you gave, it didn't mention the use of VB for commercial use which is my issue now.

Anyway, thanks for answering.

Hello Airgear,

I think your confusing with your own created codes and the codes you found in some Amazon books. If that's the problem, then you need a license to use thoose codes.

Hello Luc001,

No,, that's not the problem I'm in now. I was told that we have to purchase a Visual Basic license if we want to sell our VB-coded software. Sorry if my question is confusing.. Thanks anyway.

Usually to create the code you are trying to sell you used Visula studio /Visual Basic to develop it.

Do you own a demo/free version of Visual Strudio/Visual Basic or you brought it somewhere?

I got the licensed one from MSDN-AA. is that okay? because I'm pretty sure that the aim of MSDN-AA is to facilitate students learning, and I don't know if it's okay to use that license for commercial use.

The MSDN_AA license terms on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/bb250622.aspx are explicit:

[PartQuote]You may use the software for non-commercial purposes including instructional use, research and/or design, and development and testing of projects for class assignments, tests, or personal projects. You may not use MSDNAA software for any for-profit software development.[/PartQuote]

So the answer to your question is yes, you 'must' buy it in order to sell your application.

Hope this helps

you dont need a liscence to sell ur program written in VB. all u need is to buy a liscenced visual studio to enable create robust applications. You can get the free edition from Microsoft website which is the Express Edition

thanks a lot guys, it's solved then :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.