Conversion from string "Widow/Widower" to type 'Integer' is not valid.

here is my code

classLibrary.addParameter("@Sex", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtSex.TextLength, txtSex.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Room_ID", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtRoom_ID.TextLength, txtRoom_ID.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@CivilStatus", SqlDbType.VarChar, cboxCStatus.SelectedItem, cboxCStatus.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Nationality", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtNationality.TextLength, txtNationality.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Religion", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtReligion.TextLength, txtReligion.Text)
Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jlego

what does your addparameter function do. paste that
you cant make a string into an integer, doesnt work like that!

im guessing that when u pass the civil status, the function is expecting an integer and receiving a string. maybe change as integer to as string on ur function then use cint if you want to convert the string to an integer later down the road

hi tnx..

before i change cstatus as combobox, i used it as textbox. there was no error when i ran the application but when i experimented using combobox there arose problem saying invalidcastexception...

this is the code that was highlighted

classLibrary.addParameter("@CivilStatus", SqlDbType.VarChar, cboxCStatus.SelectedItem, cboxCStatus.SelectedIndex)

here is my whole code

Private Sub btnAddPatient_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAddPatient.Click
        Dim strSQL As String = "addpatient"
        classLibrary = New ConnectionLibrary
        classLibrary.openConnection(strConnection)

If Not classLibrary.isConnectionOpen() Then
            Exit Sub
        End If

classLibrary.initializeCommand(strSQL)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Patient_ID", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtPatient_ID.TextLength, txtPatient_ID.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@patient_type", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtPatient_type.TextLength, txtPatient_type.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@LName", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtLName.TextLength, txtLName.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@FName", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtFname.TextLength, txtFname.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@MName", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtMname.TextLength, txtMname.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Address", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtAddress.TextLength, txtAddress.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Birthplace", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtBirthplace.TextLength, txtBirthplace.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Birthdate", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtBirthdate.TextLength, txtBirthdate.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Age", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtage.TextLength, txtage.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Sex", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtSex.TextLength, txtSex.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Room_ID", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtRoom_ID.TextLength, txtRoom_ID.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@CivilStatus", SqlDbType.VarChar, cboxCStatus.SelectedItem, cboxCStatus.SelectedIndex)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Nationality", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtNationality.TextLength, txtNationality.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Religion", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtReligion.TextLength, txtReligion.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Date_Admitted", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtDate_Admitted.TextLength, txtDate_Admitted.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Time_Admitted", SqlDbType.VarChar, Txttime_admitted.TextLength, Txttime_admitted.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Date_Discharged", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtdate_discharged.TextLength, txtdate_discharged.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Time_Discharged", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtTime_discharged.TextLength, txtTime_discharged.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Chart_ID", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtChart_ID.TextLength, txtChart_ID.Text)
        classLibrary.addParameter("@Occupation", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtOccupation.TextLength, txtOccupation.Text)

objCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
        refreshlist()
    End Sub
classLibrary.addParameter("@CivilStatus", SqlDbType.VarChar, cboxCStatus.[B]selectedindex[/B], cboxCStatus.SelectedIndex)

try that, if it doesnt work ill load vb and see if i can find anything

when i tried it another error arises

sqlexception was unhandled
Cannot insert explicit value for identity column in table 'AdmissionRecord' when IDENTITY_INSERT is set to OFF.

i dunno, im guessing that is access or something? i only have experience programming with mysql..

if i had to guess, u need to configure it to allow writes (permission error or something maybe) ?

aww sorry looks like i got but selectedindex lists the number not the actual text or selected item

for example
i choose my status single
then the output on the listview is 1
when i choose status married
the output is 2

Oh you want the text from the combobox - sorry i thought you wanted the index.

it is just combobox.text for the text that is currently selected

... so you are saying the combo box will have two options.
male, female

male = 1
female = 2

the index for the male would be 0, and female would be 1 i beleive.
you could accomplish this with a class that adds a .tag to a combobox, you could set the tag as 1 or 2. other than that im not really sure how you can get that to work.

you could make an integer

dim intinteger as integer = 0

if me.cmbsex.text = "male" then
intinteger = 1
elseif me.cmbsex.text = "female" then
intinteger = 2
end if

im not really sure what u want to do sorry

hi thanks what i want to display is the text like when user choose male the output is male

classLibrary.addParameter("@CivilStatus", SqlDbType.VarChar, cboxCStatus.SelectedItem, cboxCStatus.Text)
Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        Me.ComboBox1.Items.Add("male")
        Me.ComboBox1.Items.Add("female")
    End Sub

Private Sub AddParameter(ByVal index As Integer, ByVal text As String)
        MsgBox("INDEX: " & index & " - SEX: " & text)
    End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Call AddParameter(ComboBox1.SelectedItem, ComboBox1.Text)
    End Sub
End Class

make a new project,
add a form
add a combobox
add a button
paste that code

hit play, and press the button.

i don't understand what exactly the problem is? is it because the item is returning 0 instead of 1 ?

Edited by jlego: n/a

i really dont know why the error message keeps saying that cboxcstatus is an integer type..

is it highlighting the cboxstatus.selecteditem or the cboxstatus.text?

what exactly does the error say?

invalidcast exception was unhandled

Conversion from string "" to type 'Integer' is not valid.
is it highlighting the cboxstatus.selecteditem or the cboxstatus.text? - both

classLibrary.addParameter("@CivilStatus", SqlDbType.VarChar, cint(cboxCStatus.SelectedItem), cboxCStatus.Text.tostring)

what does the addparameter function look like

Just noticing that when you are adding the parameter:

That you are specifying a varchar type. Should that not be an Int?

As to your last error, it sounds like your Stored Procedure is attempting to add a record AND is specifying an ID.

I'm guessing that Patient_ID is the record id? Whatever it is, it's an Identity field which will automatically insert a value. You can't specify what the value will be:

classLibrary.addParameter("@Patient_ID", SqlDbType.VarChar, txtPatient_ID.TextLength, txtPatient_ID.Text)

codeword

i thought the same, however

he said it doesnt error until civilstatus. and the @room_id insert is basically the same.. the txtroom_id.textlength is an integer, as is the cboxcstatus.selecteditem.

the room_id works however?

this is my code in listview

Private Sub ListView1_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ListView1.SelectedIndexChanged
        Dim index As ListView.SelectedIndexCollection = ListView1.SelectedIndices
        Dim i As Integer = 0
        For Each i In index
            txtPatient_ID.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(0).Text
            txtPatient_type.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(1).Text
            txtLName.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(2).Text
            txtFname.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(3).Text
            txtMname.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(4).Text
            txtAddress.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(5).Text
            txtBirthplace.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(6).Text
            txtBirthdate.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(7).Text
            txtage.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(8).Text
            txtSex.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(9).Text
            txtRoom_ID.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(10).Text
            cboxCStatus.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(11).Text
            txtNationality.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(12).Text
            txtReligion.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(13).Text
            txtDate_Admitted.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(14).Text
            txtdate_discharged.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(15).Text
            Txttime_admitted.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(16).Text
            txtTime_discharged.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(17).Text
            txtChart_ID.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(18).Text
            txtOccupation.Text = ListView1.Items(i).SubItems(19).Text

Next

End Sub
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.