Hi all

I have a situation, i have a form that has a datagridview, on form load, it selects the data from sql db, now what i want is when i right click on one row, i should be able to delete that row and it should also get deleted from the database.

Any help please.

Thanks,
Sacky

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi all

I have a situation, i have a form that has a datagridview, on form load, it selects the data from sql db, now what i want is when i right click on one row, i should be able to delete that row and it should also get deleted from the database.

Any help please.

Thanks,
Sacky

Iam using vb.net 08

The the following will explain the Right-Click DataGridView part be sure to read both replies;

http://bytes.com/topic/visual-basic-net/answers/425607-datagridview-force-row-selection-right-click

Then in your Right-Click event you can:

For Each row As DataGridViewRow In DataGridView1.SelectedRows
            DataGridView1.Rows.Remove(row)
     Next

If your DataGridView is bound to a BindingSource which in turn has it's DataSource set to a DataTable of a DataSet filled by a SQLDataAdapter with CommandBuilder, calling the DataAdapter's Update Method will reflect the changes ino your DataGridView back to your SQL DataBase Table.

Hi Phasma

Thanks for the reply. My datagridview fills with a select statement, there is no datasource abind to it. And i donot just want to right only, i want once i right click, i should be able to delete that row and simutenously delete from the db aswell.

thanks

For this u need to write procedure to delete row from db or SQlL statement by passing the condition to delete. And load the new set of data and bind back to grid.

I thought you wanted to simultaneously delete the row and the record in the database with a minimal of coding. That’s why I suggested the BindingSource, Dataset, DataAdapter scenario. Yes this is OLEDB not SQL but they work pretty much the same. The following is the guts of it I have attached the entire code if you wish to view it. Tested on XP Pro SP3 and VB.net 2008 Framework 3.5

'Global Variables

Dim wrkDir As String = System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly.Location())
  Dim da As New OleDbDataAdapter
  Dim ds As New DataSet
  Dim bs As New BindingSource
  Dim edit As Boolean
  'Coupon_Tracker.mdb
  Dim conn As New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
                                  "Data Source=" & wrkDir & "\Coupon_Tracker.mdb")
Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As Object, _
   ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
    'Set the dataGridView's DataSource
    dgv1.DataSource = bs
  End Sub

Private Sub btnLoadAll_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
 ByVal e As System.EventArgs) _
 Handles btnLoadAll.Click
    ds.Tables.Clear()

Dim sql As String = "SELECT * FROM(Extensions);"

Dim cmd As New OleDbCommand(sql, conn)

da.SelectCommand = cmd

'Have to have this to be able to do Updates
    Dim cmdBuilder As New OleDbCommandBuilder(da)
    da.Fill(ds, "EXTENSIONS")
    bs.DataSource = ds.Tables(0)

End Sub

Private Sub dgv1_CellMouseClick(ByVal sender As Object, _
                                           ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellMouseEventArgs) _
                                           Handles dgv1.CellMouseClick
    Dim res As DialogResult
    If e.Button = Windows.Forms.MouseButtons.Right AndAlso e.RowIndex >= 0 Then
      dgv1.Rows(e.RowIndex).Selected = True
      res = MessageBox.Show("Are you sure you want to delete Row: " & e.RowIndex & "?", _
                            "REMOVE ROW?", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo)

End If

If res = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.Yes Then
      For Each row As DataGridViewRow In dgv1.SelectedRows
        dgv1.Rows.Remove(row)
        edit = True
        Call EditDataBase()
      Next
    End If

End Sub

Private Sub EditDataBase()

If edit Then
      da.Update(ds, "EXTENSIONS")
      edit = False
    End If

End Sub

Thanks guys for your assistance, it really helped me to arrive to the answer and i got it right.

Thanks

Cool :) Then plz dont forget to mark the thread as solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.