Think about an antivirus software with an 1-pc license. After installation , while the user tries to upgrade it, the software recognizes that the pc rying to upgrade the antivirus is the one that bought the license so that the software when installed on another pc with the same serial key given won't work or be upgraded.

Is assembly language or what used to develop this licensing system ?

What has DRM to do with it and in what way?

N.B: If this is not the right forum to ask the question, then correct me please.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I do not understand what the used language has to do with this feature. Language does not matter, of course the maker of program does not want it to be too easy to remove the checking routine, so some kind of check against changes in code is in order. Of course online systems can only 'call home' and register which keys are used, and have obligatory 'activation' during certain period after installation, like Microsoft Windows XP has, for example.

I do not understand what the used language has to do with this feature. Language does not matter, of course the maker of program does not want it to be too easy to remove the checking routine, so some kind of check against changes in code is in order. Of course online systems can only 'call home' and register which keys are used, and have obligatory 'activation' during certain period after installation, like Microsoft Windows XP has, for example.

suppose user X buys the software and uses it in pc1. If user X decides to use it in pc2 instead of pc1 , s/he can't do that. How is that implemented in the software?

which algorithm or hardware id detecting mechanism?

suppose user X buys the software and uses it in pc1. If user X decides to use it in pc2 instead of pc1 , s/he can't do that. How is that implemented in the software?

which algorithm or hardware id detecting mechanism?

I mean the 'antivirus software' when i say software

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.