Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to C++ and I was wondering if I could get a hand with something. I'm trying to write a program that will create something called an anti-saccade task, in which the subject of the experiment would have to look away from the stimulus, for my psychology college dissertation. The only problem is I'm stuck right at the beginning :(. Any tips?

Thanks guys!

Lucy
XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I don't have any tips because you didn't explain what the program is supposed to do. It's not safe to assume that anyone here knows what an anti-saccade task is, much less infer your program's requirements from that even if they did.

Hi!

Im really sorry i was extremely vague. From what I've researched an antisaccade task requires a participant to look in the opposite direction of a target stimulus. So, for example, on a standard experimental trial a stimulus will be presented to the left of the participants visual field and the participant will have to make an eye movement to the right and ignore the visual stimulus.

This website probably explains it better than I can!

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/antisaccade

Im really stuck!

XOXOXO

I'm sorry, but that doesn't help at all. If you don't have any hard requirements that can be translated into steps for a computer to execute, thinking some up is where you should start. Right now it sounds like all you have is the vague concept of 'hey, I should write a program that does an antisaccade task'.

OK, so it sounds like you want to put a dot on the screen and get your test subject to look at it even though their eyes are wired not to. Is that the gist of it?
If you're going to use C++ and you're pretty new to it, well... dang that's tricky.
DirectX is about as straightforward as unraveling yarn. While under water.

I would say use SimpleDirect mediaLayer (or SDL, libSDL, etc...), but that would require setting up linker libraries. And that's not always a straight forward process either.

Close! It's actually the opposite. I want to put a stimulus on the screen and I want the participant to look in the opposite direction even though their eyes are hard wired to look directly at the target. So if the target is presented to the left the participant will need to look at the right

Participants will be placed in an eye tracker for the duration of the experiment. Specifically the program will produce a cross in the centre of the screen (fixation cross) which participants will look at. After the computer has logged participants fixation on this cross for approximately 300 milliseonds, it will be replaced with a stimulus (a solid square) to either the left or right of the cross. In this task the participant is required to avoid looking at the stimulus and instead look in the opposite direction at the opposite side of the screen. So if a stimulus is presented on the left, the participant is required to break from their instincutal reaction to look at it and instead look to the right. The outputs I am interested in are the speed (milliseconds) of participants eye movement to either the left or the right, accuracy and whether or not the participant corrects their eye movements if they are incorrect. I know this is a lot to ask and might not make sense but I thought it was worth a shot! :icon_cry:

XOXOXO

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.