Please.
I'm writing a Test Engine Software and I have a big issue. I have a large question database about 1000 questions and I need to load 50 random questions for each test instance. i.e Each time a user runs the test, 50 DISTINCT questions will be loaded.

They should not be the same every time and questions that have already been loaded and or answered should not be displayed again.

Right now, I have extracted all the questions into a ResultSet, is there a way I can shuffle the questions and select the top 50 into a new ResultSet and use the new ResultSet to administer the test. If it's possible, it'll make my job easier. If not, I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanx

Luminus

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

no, that's not possible.
What I'd do is store the questions with a unique number as a key, then create 50 random numbers and pull the questions with those numbers out of the database.

no, that's not possible.
What I'd do is store the questions with a unique number as a key, then create 50 random numbers and pull the questions with those numbers out of the database.

Could you please gimme some sample code so I know how to go about it and any other suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanx

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.