Start New Discussion within our Software Development Community

Hi,

I have a textbox called

txtCustomerRecord.text

It is a multiline textbox, and I want to be able to enter different pieces of information (info1, info2, info3) into each line. I would really appreciate it if somebody could show me how to do this.

Collin

Do you just need to add values on separate lines, as: txtCustomerRecord.text = "info1" & vbNewLine & "info2" & vbNewLine & "info3" ?
.Or do you want to update a selected.line with a value?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I would like to be able to update a selected line with a value from a database, for example.

Thanks

With TextBox1
            Dim arLines() As String = .Lines '// get all lines into a String.Array.
            arLines(2) = "line.3 has been updated" '// update selected line.
            .Lines = arLines '// add lines back to TextBox.
        End With

One way to do it would be

Dim lines() As String = TextBox1.Lines
lines(3) = "this is actually line 4"
TextBox1.Text = Join(lines, vbCrLf)

Of course, you would get an error if you didn't have enough existing lines. n alternative would be to use a listbox instead and do

ListBox1.Items(3) = "this is line 4"

directly. Same caveat as above.

Reverend Jim, you must either be getting old or have a slow p.c., cause I just beat you by a few seconds.:D

Thanks for both of your suggestions. I will try them both when I'm on a computer again, and get back to you :) (I'm posting from my phone)

>>(I'm posting from my phone)
No vb.net on phone?:'(
>>Had to shoo the cat off the keyboard.
I ate my cat and keyboard and I still beat you by a few seconds, HAH!!!

I'm in London lol. The internet makes the world such a small place...where's Manitoba?

I've attempted both methods, and got the came error:

Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Help please!

Thanks

EDIT: I've managed to fix it by changing

Dim arrayLines() As String = .Lines

to

Dim arrayLines(3) As String

:D

When you count lines or anything by using .Count or .Length, it starts at 1 then 2,3,4,etc.
When you use an Index, it starts at 0 Not 1, and it goes as 0,1,2,3,etc.
.this is the reason you might have/will notice the "-1"'s when working with .Items and Indexes.

You should always check if the line you would like to edit is there for you to edit.

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        changeLineInCoolTextBox(0, ">>>>>>>>>") '// first line.
        changeLineInCoolTextBox(TextBox1.Lines.Length - 1, "<<<<<<<<<") '// last line.

End Sub
    Private Sub changeLineInCoolTextBox(ByVal iCoolLineIndex As Integer, ByVal selContentToReplaceCoolLineWith As String)
        If Not iCoolLineIndex > TextBox1.Lines.Length - 1 Then '// check if the line you would like to replace exists in TextBox.
            Dim lines() As String = TextBox1.Lines
            lines(iCoolLineIndex) = selContentToReplaceCoolLineWith
            TextBox1.Text = Join(lines, vbCrLf)
        Else
            MsgBox("index was outside the bounds of the cool array, since it is greater(in this case) than the TextBox.Lines", MsgBoxStyle.Critical)
        End If
    End Sub
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.