Been trying to figure out how to do this for a while, but I can't seem to find anything that exactly covers what I'm trying to do. I'm really a novice when it comes to vb .net, so this might be staring me in the face and I wouldn't know it.

I've got a Motorola MC3090 mobile barcode scanner running Windows CE 5.0 at work. I wrote a small program (in .net 3.5) that allows me to scan barcodes and then get counts for specific barcodes when I type all or part of the barcode into an textbox. That works pretty well for receiving, but I need something that works better for the reverse process (shipping things out).

I have an textbox which accepts the barcodes. When the scanner emulates an enter key press, it adds the code to a listbox and clears the input field. This process loops as many times as my quantity field specifies. There's another textbox which I use to input partial barcodes that I want counts for. It looks for strings in the listbox that match, dumps them into a second hidden listbox, and counts those.

If you're the tl;dr type, here's the short of what I want to do with all of the above. I want to take the contents of the visible listbox, summarize by listing each unique barcode, and have a count of how many of each unique barcode appears in the listbox.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

tl;dr?

How about this

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

Dim words() As String = Split("Some luck lies in not getting what you thought you wanted but getting what you have which once you have got it you may be smart enough to see is what you would have wanted had you known")

For Each word As String In words
            ListBox1.Items.Add(word)
        Next

End Sub

Private Sub btnScan_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnScan.Click

Dim unique As New Dictionary(Of String, Integer)

For Each item As String In ListBox1.Items
            If unique.ContainsKey(item) Then
                unique(item) += 1
            Else
                unique(item) = 1
            End If
        Next

For Each key As String In unique.Keys
            ListBox2.Items.Add(key & " (" & unique(key) & ")")
        Next

End Sub

End Class

I set the Sorted property on ListBox2 to True.

commented: worked great +0

Thanks! With a few modifications to fit it with my program it works beautifully. I've still got a few usability issues to work out, but it is functional. Here's the full code if anyone is interested. This could just as easily work as a desktop application.

Public Class frmMainForm

Private Sub txtBarcode_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles txtBarcode.KeyPress
        If e.KeyChar = Chr(Keys.Enter) Then

For a = 1 To txtQuantity.Value

lstBarcodes.Items.Add(txtBarcode.Text)

Next

txtBarcode.Text = String.Empty
            lblTotal.Text = lstBarcodes.Items.Count

End If
    End Sub

Private Sub btnClear_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnClear.Click
        If lstSummary.Visible = True Then
            lstSummary.Visible = False
            lstSummary.Items.Clear()
            lstBarcodes.Items.Clear()
            lblCount.Text = String.Empty
            lblTotal.Text = String.Empty
            btnDelete.Enabled = True
        Else
            lstBarcodes.Items.Clear()
            lblTotal.Text = String.Empty
        End If

End Sub

Private Sub txtCount_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles txtCount.KeyPress

lstResults.Items.Clear()

For Each Item As String In lstBarcodes.Items

If Item.Contains(txtCount.Text) Then

lstResults.Items.Add(Item)

End If

Next

lblCount.Text = lstResults.Items.Count

End If
    End Sub

Private Sub txtCount_TextChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles txtCount.TextChanged
    End Sub

Private Sub btnDelete_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnDelete.Click

lstBarcodes.Items.Remove(lstBarcodes.SelectedItem)
        lblTotal.Text = lstBarcodes.Items.Count

End Sub

Private Sub FocusBarcodeEnter(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles txtQuantity.KeyPress

txtBarcode.Focus()

End If
    End Sub

Private Sub btnSummary_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSummary.Click
        If lstSummary.Visible = False Then
            lstSummary.Visible = True
            btnDelete.Enabled = False

Dim unique As New Dictionary(Of String, Integer)

For Each item As String In lstBarcodes.Items
                If unique.ContainsKey(item) Then
                    unique(item) += 1
                Else
                    unique(item) = 1
                End If
            Next

For Each key As String In unique.Keys
                lstSummary.Items.Add(key & " (" & unique(key) & ")")
            Next
        Else

lstSummary.Visible = False
            btnDelete.Enabled = True
            lstSummary.Items.Clear()
        End If
    End Sub
End Class

tl;dr?

Sorry, been hanging out in engadget comments too much. Stands for "too long; didn't read."

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.