hi

i'm working with a database application and i want to check if there is a null value in a specific column but it works only when its not null but if its null it throws an exception automatically

i tried to change the nullvalue property of this column but i'm not able it shows a message that its not a valid property

i tried to change the source code in the code editer but it changes back automatically

is there a way that i can work around this?

It would help if we knew what type of database you are using. In MS SQL Server, there is a function (COALESCE) that can be used to substitute other values if a database field contains NULL. For example, the following query

select last_name, middle_name, first_name from myTable

would return NULL if there was no entry for middle_name, however

select last_name, coalesce(middle_name,"none"), first_name from myTable

would return "none" as the value for middle_name instead of NULL

There is a similar function, NZ, in MS Access.

Edited 4 Years Ago by Reverend Jim: n/a

thanks for your answer i didn't thought about this
yes i'm using ms sql server and i knew of this function i forgot it

but there is also a way to work around the visual studio it self on this problem?

As far as I know, not one that isn't messy (requires writing interface code). You are much better off letting SQL server do the substitution for you.

As far as I know, not one that isn't messy (requires writing interface code). You are much better off letting SQL server do the substitution for you.

i used the following code

if tablename(0).iscolumnnamenull =true then
=============
elseif tablename(0).iscolumnnamenull =false

=========
end if

it worked fine

thank you all for your effort

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.