Hope my first post is relevant enough. I'm a newbie coder and this is as much a learning exercise as it is a favor for my girlfriend. She has test results from a device that outputs data to .csv in multiple (100+) files. the important data is the separate file names and one column of data. so we want:

Input -
data1 data2 data3
12341 23534 3454
32453 3454 4345

data1 data2 data3
35123 23456 5654
34234 7578 67854

Output -

*note, sorting would be bad. we don't want to sort. order in files is important*

I have gotten a wonderful little bash script to get this to work:

fileList=`ls inputdatafolder/`
for var in $fileList
	echo $var >> outputfolder/outputfile.csv
	cat testdata/$var | cut -d, -f2 >> outputfolder/outputfile.csv

The problem now is the workstation is (of course) Windows. So the question now is, what do I port this to so that it works on her environment?

Obvious answer is "install cygwin" but being a corporate machine that is/may not be, an option. Same goes for perl or python. Java may be possible as it is most common. I tried Batch for a short while and got no where useful even with Google's help. C++ seems like overkill but I have resources to go that route. Just no experience.

This seems like a common issue online but no one has a solid solution for such a restricted environment. A pointer in the right direction should be enough. I'll respond with my own solution(s) as I think of ideas.

Perhaps the for will work for you. That link has an example of how to split up the output of the ping command.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.