This is my first time dealing with file I/O and need help figuring out the best way to read in data and store it for further manipulation. I have a file that contains an individual's salary, and 3 product ratings on each line, such as: 75000 01 05 09

What is the best way to store this data? I know how to use BufferedReader and how to tokenize each integer. I must write this program to deal with any number of lines in a file. There are three income brackets, and I must also be able to perform the following calculations:

a) For each income bracket, the average rating for each product
b) The number of persons in Income Bracket $50000-74000 that rates all three products with a score of 5 or higher.
c) The average rating for Product 2 by persons who rated Product 1 lower than Prodcut 3.

Thus far, I've written the following code to open the file and perform 2 reads to get the total number of lines (individuals) and the total number of inidividuals in each income bracket. It compiles, but I get a null pointed exception at StringTokenizer, for some reason.

Please help! Do I need to take lines in as arrays? (tried this, but don't understand how to get at individual data) Do I need to somehow create objects for each person (if so, how?). My reference text covers this area poorly. Thanks for all help.

import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;

public class Product_Survey 
{
	public static void main(String [] args)
	{
		int lineCount = 0;
		int inc1total = 0;
		int inc2total = 0;
		int inc3total = 0;
		String name = null;
		System.out.println("Please enter income and product info file name:  ");
		Scanner keyboard = new Scanner(System.in);
		name = keyboard.next();
		File fileObject = new File(name);
		while ((! fileObject.exists()) || ( ! fileObject.canRead()))

{
			if( ! fileObject.exists())
			{
				System.out.println("No such file");
			}
			else
			{
				System.out.println("That file is not readable.");
			}

System.out.println("Enter file name again:");
				name = keyboard.next();
				fileObject = new File(name);				
		}

try
		{
			BufferedReader inputStream = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(name));

String trash = "No trash yet";
			while (trash != null)
			{

trash = inputStream.readLine();
				lineCount++;
			}

inputStream.close();
		}
		catch(IOException e)
		{
			System.out.println("Problem reading from file.");
		}		

try
		{
			BufferedReader inputStream = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(name));

String trash = "No trash yet";
			while (trash != null)
			{

trash = inputStream.readLine();

StringTokenizer st = new StringTokenizer(trash);
				int income = Integer.parseInt(st.nextToken());
				if(income<50000)
				{
					inc1total++;
				}
				else if(income<75000)
				{
					inc2total++;
				}
				else if(income<100000)
				{
					inc3total++;
				}

}

inputStream.close();
		}
		catch(IOException e)
		{
			System.out.println("Problem reading from file.");
		}		

}

}

Hi cazaletm, I know that starting out with Java I/O can be a little challenging and I see that you've tried all you can. I will not write the whole program out that satisfies all the requirements, but I'll give you a snippet on how to deal with your File I/O.

I see that you used the Scanner to read what the user has typed. This same Scanner can be used to read what is stored in a file as well.

I figured that since you are dealing with monies and averages, it would be a better choice to use double s instead of int s to do your calculations.

// ...

FileReader fileReader = new FileReader(fileObject); // Creates a new FileReader
Scanner fileScanner = new Scanner(fileReader); // Creates a new Scanner

while (fileScanner.hasNextDouble()) { // Do this until we are out of values[INDENT]// Variables
double salary = fileScanner.nextDouble(); // Get the next double and store
double ratingA;
double ratingB;
double ratingC;

if (fileScanner.hasNextDouble()) { // Make sure we have a next double to read from before actually reading it[INDENT]ratingA = fileScanner.nextDouble(); // Get the next double and store[/INDENT]}
else {[INDENT]// TODO: Your file does not have the second number to read from[/INDENT]}

if (fileScanner.hasNextDouble()) { // Make sure we have a next double to read from before actually reading it[INDENT]ratingB = fileScanner.nextDouble(); // Get the next double and store[/INDENT]}
else {[INDENT]// TODO: Your file does not have the third number to read from[/INDENT]}

if (fileScanner.hasNextDouble()) { // Make sure we have a next double to read from before actually reading it[INDENT]ratingC = fileScanner.nextDouble(); // Get the next double and store[/INDENT]}
else {[INDENT]// TODO: Your file does not have the fourth number to read from[/INDENT]}

// TODO: Do something with your values here[/INDENT]}

// ...

Hope this helps you get the values you need!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.