I'm a Computer Security student. I need some opinions for my Final Year Project idea. Im planning to create an application on VB.NET which protects a network from unknown users like hackers by filtering their MAC addresses/Hostname/IP. The application will work similar to the software inside the modem/router but in a friendly GUI and less features. Reason for my idea is basic users tend to get scared to go inside modem/router to change something. So this application will make things easier by giving friendlier GUI with simple details which can protect users from unknown users.
The network can a normal home internet wifi and connected by several devices like phone and laptops.
My basic idea how the app will run on user side is:
1) User runs the app
2) Chooses the modem/router brand (will have preloaded admin username and password for modem/router depending on the modem/router brand)
3) Identifies all the users connected to the network
4) Shows the hostname, MAC and IP
5) Able to remove unknown users (filtering), change admin username and password, change SSID and password
6) If new device joins, gives a popout.
At the back, the app will does the following:
1) Checks for default gateway
2) Enters inside the modem using default gateway
3) Depending on the modem/router brand, logs inside
4) Retreives the data needed
5) Updates any data users is changing like disconnecting/filtering a MAC address, SSID or admin username & password
I have good knowledge in VB.Net and currently learning networking. I would like to know if the idea can be implemented? The main problem i found is how to connect or get into the modem/router using a VB.NET app and change all those things.
Thanks in advance! :)
Edited 4 Years Ago by dban07