I got into graphics programming a few days ago. I did some graphics before but very little in Ittlicht (a complete game engine with sound, rendering, network etc...)

But I heard about DirectX and how great it is for games and other 2D and 3D graphics. But the API is hard to understand and you have to do a lot before just drawing a simple triangle.

So my question is:

For graphics programming like; games, ui programs etc. What would be best. Now I know that DirectX only works on windows and windows related stuff like XBox. And my primary platform is going to be windows.

Isn't there an easier way to do something in DirectX, not having to "define" each and every variable of the structs in the API?

And what makes DirectX better than Irrlicht?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

It's a trade-off.

DirectX is harder to use and does a lot less for you, requiring you to have more knowledge, time, etc. What you get is more control, which you can translate into more closely making it do what you want, with higher performance.

Isn't there an easier way to do something in DirectX, not having to "define" each and every variable of the structs in the API?

Yes. You use some kind of intermediary that does all that for you, and gives you a simpler interface to work with. For example, Irrlicht.

So Irrlicht by itself can't interact with the GPU, It runs throught DirectX (basicly some kind of wrapper)?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.