First thing i want to say is i am sorry if this is not the appropriate place to post this.

I am basically looking for an open source project to work on. I honestly have no idea how to find one or how to become a part of one. I am fairly new to programming, with only a year of experience, so it is kind of hard for me to tell which projects would be a good fit for me. I am mostly interested in Java. I really just want to learn how to work with a group of people on a project. It is something that i have never really done before (even in school) and I think that i could learn alot from working on a project with others.

So does anyone have a project they themselves would need help on or know of a project that is friendly to beginners?

There are a lot of projects on GitHub and SourceForge. Get comfortable with those sites, choose a project, download, see if it is your level. If it is try to make changes. Once you're comfortable push new commits.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.