Hi. I'm making a program somewhat like Siri except through text boxes not voice command. On my form FormMain I have two text boxes named TextBoxInput and TextBoxConversation. I also have two buttons named ButtonStart and ButtonEnd. Here is my entire code for FormMain so far:

Public Class FormMain

Dim yourname As String

Private Sub ButtonStart_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ButtonStart.Click
        TextBoxInput.Enabled = True
        Call Conversation()
    End Sub

Private Sub ButtonEnd_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ButtonEnd.Click
        TextBoxInput.Enabled = False

End Sub

Sub Conversation()
        TextBoxConversation.Text = "Hi! My name is Alex." + vbCrLf + "To end our conversation you may click the ""End Conversation"" button at the bottom of the app at anytime." + vbCrLf + "What is your name?"
        yourname = TextBoxInput.Text
        TextBoxConversation.Text = TextBoxConversation.Text + vbCrLf + yourname + vbCrLf + "Nice to meet you " + yourname + ". How are you?"

End Sub
End Class

What I need to do is when TextBoxConversation asks for a name, I need it to wait for the enter key to be pressed, and then set yourname equal to TextBoxInput.Text. I tried doing this but it gave me errors in the sub Conversation when I tried to Call the sub FormMain_EnterKeyUp:

Public Class FormMain

Dim yourname As String

Private Sub ButtonStart_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ButtonStart.Click
        Call Conversation()
    End Sub

Private Sub ButtonEnd_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ButtonEnd.Click

End Sub

Sub Conversation()
        TextBoxConversation.Text = "Hi! My name is Alex." + vbCrLf + "To end our conversation you may click the ""End Conversation"" button at the bottom of the app at anytime." + vbCrLf + "What is your name?"
        Call FormMain_EnterKeyUp() *<--Error was here*
        yourname = TextBoxInput.Text
        TextBoxConversation.Text = TextBoxConversation.Text + vbCrLf + yourname + vbCrLf + "Nice to meet you " + yourname + ". How are you?"

End Sub

Sub FormMain_EnterKeyUp(sender As Object, e As KeyEventArgs) Handles Me.KeyUp
        Do Until e.KeyCode = Keys.Enter
        Loop
    End Sub

I just need to call the sub and make it do nothing until the enter key is pressed, and when it is pressed, I need it to go back to sub Conversation and continue where it left off. And then repeat the call function each time a new question is asked like this:

TextBoxConversation.Text = TextBoxConversation.Text + vbCrLf + "How are you?"
Call Conversation()
yourstatus = TextBoxInput.Text

'React to the user's answer here

Is this possible? Thanks in advance.

-David

Handle the KeyUp event of the textbox not the form. Then call Conversation when the key code is Keys.Enter:

Private Sub TextBoxInput_KeyUp(sender As Object, e As KeyEventArgs) Handles TextBoxInput.KeyUp
    If e.KeyCode = Keys.Enter Then
        Conversation
    End If
End Sub

Edited 1 Year Ago by tinstaafl

Is there a way I can call different parts of the sub? Something like this?:

Sub Conversation()
        Call TextBoxInput_KeyUp()

End Sub

Private Sub TextBoxInput_KeyUp(sender As Object, e As KeyEventArgs) Handles TextBoxInput.KeyUp
    If e.KeyCode = Keys.Enter Then
        Conversation('at line after this sub was called')
    End If
End Sub

You could set an argument for the sub. Maybe an integer. Then in the sub use a Select-Case block to choose what you want it to do next, based on the number that gets passed to the sub.

d1d3e9f38b90926de78db4a424f992d9

There's a visual for you.
What I want to happen when I click ButtonStart is TextBoxInput to be enabled and the computer to start the conversation in TextBoxConversation, like this:

80c8be05ff32029d6b5ed1f7ec647ba6

And then when I hit enter, TextBoxConversation will say "Nice to meet you David. How are you?"

Here's my code:

Public Class FormMain

Dim yourname As String

Call TextBoxInput_Conversation()
    End Sub

End Sub

Sub Conversation()

End Sub

Loop
    End Sub

Sub TextBoxInput_Conversation(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Me.KeyUp
        Do Until e.keycode = Keys.Enter
        Loop
    End Sub
End Class

Here is my error report when I try to run the program:

------ Build started: Project: Alex, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
C:\Users\David\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\Alex\Alex\FormMain.vb(7) : error BC30455: Argument not specified for parameter 'e' of 'Public Sub TextBoxInput_Conversation(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs)'.
C:\Users\David\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\Alex\Alex\FormMain.vb(7) : error BC30455: Argument not specified for parameter 'sender' of 'Public Sub TextBoxInput_Conversation(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs)'.
C:\Users\David\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\Alex\Alex\FormMain.vb(27) : error BC30456: 'keycode' is not a member of 'System.EventArgs'.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Attachments Alex.png 119.62 KB

You're trying to call TextBoxInput_Conversation() without any of the arguments that it requires.

just a suggestion :
i think it will work if you're trying to put the whole conversation on the TextBoxConversation.

Sub Conversation()
        Loop
End Sub

-HappyCoding

So I was thinking about your post on the bus from school and I started to realize what you were saying. I thought you meant call the sub in the Do Loop command, but you were just saying put the code for the conversation in there and it works. The only error I get now is when I call the sub. Would someone help me with the arguments? Sorry for the trouble, I'm a pain in the butt I know, but I'm pretty new to programming.

Updated code:

Public Class FormMain

Dim yourname As String

Call TextBoxInput_Conversation('sender As Object, e As KeyEventArgs')
    End Sub

End Sub

Sub TextBoxInput_Conversation(sender As Object, e As KeyEventArgs) Handles Me.KeyUp
            Threading.Thread.Sleep(30000)
        Loop
    End Sub
End Class

Error Report:

------ Build started: Project: Alex, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
C:\Users\David\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\Alex\Alex\FormMain.vb(7) : error BC30201: Expression expected.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Edited 1 Year Ago by Programmer592: Fixed Error

Something like this would work:

TextBoxInput_Conversation(Me, New KeyEventArgs())

I should caution this is probably not the best way to accomplish your goal. You should probably look at examples of messenger apps and adapt one to your needs.

Edited 1 Year Ago by tinstaafl

The error always happens before the ' in line 7 saying "Expression Expected".

Yes actually I didn't see that post until right now. I had my dad look at the code with me and this is what we put in the ():

(Me, New KeyEventArgs(Keys.A))

But now there's other errors and it just keeps looping and looping without giving the user a chance to type much. So he said that he'd help me later with it but I will look into messenger apps. Thanks for your help.

-David

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.