Hello all,
I have a weird problem. I have created an application in VB.NET 2010 on my PC which runs Windows XP Home Edition SP3. Upon testing my application, I found out that my app does not run on Windows Vista and Windows 7. Just to help, I was searching this site when someone had posted that there is a problem with shapes and file system.
By the way, I'm on .NET Framework 4.0
Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

There are a thousand ways that an application can "not work". What happens when you run it?

What version of XP (32-bit or 64-bit)? What version of Vista (32-bit or 64-bit)? What version of Win 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)?

Did you check that the necessary version of .NET is installed on the Vista and Win 7? There are two versions of .NET 4--a client version and a full version.

.Net 4 - Full

.Net 4 - Client

Another thing to check is if you do anything that requires elevated user permissions. UAC (user account control) settings could be preventing it from running

• Control Panel
  • User Accounts
  • Change User Account Control settings

Hi all,
Sorry I could'nt answer. It is a Windows XP 32-bit(my development PC) And testing on Windows Vista 32-bit.
Reverend Jim, It says I dont have the permissions to access the directory "C:\Program Files"
And yes cgeier, The testing computer and my dev PC have both Full and Client versions of .NET Framework 4.0 installed. And yes, there is a commented line in the app.manifest file where it asks to uncomment a XML line called "supportedOS" which says it will enable my app to run on Win 7 but it does not work.
Thanks for the response,
Yuvjeeth

Other than installing your program in %ProgramFiles%, you should not be writing to %ProgramFiles% (or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the registry).

Use one of the following directories to store your data:

Dim userProfileDir As String = Environment.GetEnvironmentVariable("USERPROFILE")

Dim allUsersProfileDir As String = Environment.GetEnvironmentVariable("ALLUSERSPROFILE")

Dim appDataDir As String = Environment.GetEnvironmentVariable("APPDATA")

Thanks cgeier, It worked

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.