I'm just starting out with Assembly languege, having installed NASM on openSUSE 13.1, i386 family processor yesterday. My worry is that a simple program like "Hello World!" has flagged a warning when linking...see line 3 below:

1. coker.mu@linux-jm54:~/nasm> nasm -f elf helloWorld.asm
  2. coker.mu@linux-jm54:~/nasm> ld -m elf_i386 -s -o helloWorld helloWorld.o

3. ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 0000000008048080

4. coker.mu@linux-jm54:~/nasm> ls -l

5. total 12
  6. -rwxr-xr-x 1 coker.mu users 360 Dec 19 21:06 helloWorld
  7. -rw-r--r-- 1 coker.mu users 429 Dec 19 21:04 helloWorld.asm
  8. -rw-r--r-- 1 coker.mu users 624 Dec 19 21:05 helloWorld.o

Even though the program prints as expected when executed, I worry about how many errors I might get in future as I venture into deeper waters. How do I suppress such frivolous warnings? I mean the program has the "global main" line as well as the "main:" label!!

C.M.

Recommended Answers

Good for you in finding the cause of the problem. Note that in line 3 of your post, it indicates that it would use a default entry point, which is why it ran.

Jump to Post

How would you fix it if you wanted the entry point of your program to be NewbieChameleon? You would use the -e or --entry command line option for ld:

-eEntryPointLabel
--entry=EntryPointLabel

I use a makefile and used this for an example and 64bit O:
ld -o $(APP) $(APP).o -melf_i386 -eNewbieChameleon …

Jump to Post

All 5 Replies

Hi,

Re: NASM Linker warning..

Forget about my earlier question... A bit of research has just revealed that I should have used "global _start" instead of "global main". Similarly I replaced "main:" with "_start:" and the warning vanished. False alarm!! Otherwise I'm having fun with the assembler!

Good for you in finding the cause of the problem. Note that in line 3 of your post, it indicates that it would use a default entry point, which is why it ran.

How would you fix it if you wanted the entry point of your program to be NewbieChameleon? You would use the -e or --entry command line option for ld:

-eEntryPointLabel
--entry=EntryPointLabel

I use a makefile and used this for an example and 64bit O:
ld -o $(APP) $(APP).o -melf_i386 -eNewbieChameleon -dynamic-linker /lib/ld-linux.so.2

@rubberman && GunnerInc;
Thank you both for your responses. Right now things are going fine, but I know as the waters get murkier I'll be back for more help! The command line option for ld is a bonus....Don't think I could have come up with it using the man page for ld! Thanx.

ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; not setting start address
micro10.o: In function main': micro10.asm:(.txt+0xeb): undefined reference toprintf'
micro10.asm:(.txt+0x111): undefined reference to `printf'
m getting this error... why is it so?

commented: Don't bury your questions under 4+ year old discussions. -3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.19 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.