Hi! I am trying to do this project for my Comp Prog class. The Project assignment is "Create an application that prompts the user to enter his/her and last name in a single text box. The program returns the user initials in uppercase".

This is what i have. I am using listboxes for now instead to display the initial.

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Dim Name, F, Last As String
        Dim Cnt As Integer = 0
        Name = TextBox1.Text
        Last = Name.Chars(cnt)
        For Cnt = 0 To (Name.Length) - 1
            Last = Name.Chars(Cnt)
            If Last = " " Then
                Cnt = cnt + 1
            End If
        Next
        F = Name.Chars(0)     
        listbox1.items.add(F.ToString.ToUpper & Last.ToString.ToUpper)

End Sub
End Class

Alright so basically i created variables Names, Last, and F. And Cnt for a counter that equals 0. Set Name to textbox1.text, which i will enter the name. And Last is equal to Name.Chars(Cnt) (So last is queal to textbox1 (name) and character cnt, which is 0. Then i created a for next loop, to which Cnt = 0 to the length of the name. - 1 because ... EX) TOM JONES, is 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. The Length is of TOM JONES is 9(w/o the 0), so you have to subtract - 1. OK, so i set up a If, then. If Last = " " (BLANK) then the counter = counter + 1... So F is then equal to Char 0, which is the first letter of the name, and add everything to a listbox..

So if i put in a name, Tom Jones for example, it shows TS, The last and first letter, EX) Bob Jones, will display BS.. When it is supposed to be BJ.

Can anyone help me? I been trying to this for the past couple of hours and have no idea what im doing wrong.

Can someone please Help

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

TRy out the Sustring method : link

My teacher is only letting us use For Next Loops. Anything else is not allowed :(

Start by taking the string from the textbox and adding a blank at the front. Then scan through the entire string and check each character. If a character is non-blank and is preceded by a blank then add that character (upper case) to your output string. Once you have finished the loop your output string will be the initials

The easiest way to do this would be the string.split method. Even if the name contains two or more spaces the op can decide which ones to use for initials. Good example is here:
http://www.dotnetperls.com/split-vbnet
and it uses also a For-Next loop

The easiest way to do this would be the string.split method.

That would be easier. I assumed because SubString was out that Split would also be disallowed. As for last names with two (or more) words, my last name has two words and I use both first letters in my initials. I can not see any way of determining whether a name like "Mario Van Peebles" consists of two given names plus a surname or one given name and a compound surname.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.