so we output S
thanks

Could anyone tell me how me to count the frequency of character appear
in a paragraphy using c program

For example, SHE IS GIRL
S appear two time
so we output S
thanks

I'm not quite sure about what you mean. What exactly do you want to output?

Well, suppose you have the string "GIRL". A string is an array of characters. Store the letter you want to search for as a character. So what you will have to do is start at the beginning of the array, and recursively traverse it one character at a time. We look at the first character. Is it equal to our search character? If yes, increment our counter. Move to the second element (character) in the array. Check if it is a match. Then move to the next character, etc.

can i use if statement to count the frequency

for example
c=getchar()
if c='a' && 'A'
cnta++
.....to if c=z...

and one more question

when more than one characters have the same frequencies
how can i take out the earlier one ?

i think you mean || (or) instead of && (and), other than that what you posted should work.

As for the other ? , If you know the length of the file, you can stop immedietly once a certian frequency has been found.

can i use if statement to count the frequency

for example
c=getchar()
if c='a' && 'A'
cnta++
.....to if c=z...

and one more question

when more than one characters have the same frequencies
how can i take out the earlier one ?

That won't neccesarily work. You're going to need to make a loop and a lot more code to actually search a string. If you are talking about big strings you might want to search for a substring with strstr(). Then get the position of the character you are searching for by finding the difference in the subtring and the string itself. After that, you can use a specific tallying method to loop through that again but skip over the first appearance and go to the third, then fourth, etc... Until the end.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.